Kit to make an arch from a square corner?

bluelebkuchenDecember 8, 2005

I'd like to make some interior arches where we now have square openings between rooms in the house. Is this a DIY project or should I hire a drywall specialist. I was sort of hoping there was a kit somewhere to make it easy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here are a couple of sites to check out: InstaArches and Creative Corners. I had three square openings converted to arches, and the builders used Creative Corners because of the special case presented in my remodel: Two of the converted openings are in 8"-thick masonry walls, and the InstaArch system is strictly for standard 4" walls. Here are a couple of photos showing how the Creative Corners product worked.

In the first photo, you can see that we had to use two kits (four pieces of the white foam) to fill the thickness of the masonry wall. This foam is extremely dense, and the overhanging edges were trimmed off with a hacksaw. The scond photo shows the finished result, after plastering and painting.


    Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 7:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is a good one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Curvemaker

    Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 9:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I suppose it depends on how much curve you have in mind for arches as to whether one of the kits mentioned are really necessary. I made my own eliptical arches for two double-wide openings into our dining room from scrap material:

 I determined how far down on the opening I wanted the arch to reach and marked that spot on each side. Next, I marked the top 1/3 in from the corner on each side

 After marking those spots, I held a piece of 2 x 4 diagonally from the horizontal mark to the vertical mark and traced along the opening. That gave me the angles I needed to cut the 2 x 4. I made two pieces of cut 2 x 4 for each opening and screwed them in place with deck screws.

 For the flat of the arch, I simply flexed 1/4" plywood and screwed it in place with drywall screws to the 2 x 4 angles and the top of the existing opening.

After that, it's basic drywalling with sheetrock and corner bead, It's been several years since I did that and everything's still neat and tight!

    Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 9:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Wow, that information is exactly what I needed. I'm going to try it, and call in the professionals if it doesn't look right.


    Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 11:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hope it works well for you. It's really not that difficult to achieve. You can buy cornerbead that's already notched on one side for curves, or snip one side of solid cornerbead with tin snips or scissors, depending on whether you use tin or plastic. For a shallow arch, what I said earlier is all there is to it. If the curve is fairly narrow and steep, you'll need to 'ease' the quarter inch plywood on the back side with a shallow kerf (no more than 1/8"), every few inches using either a table saw or a circular saw.

    Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 1:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dear Margaret,

I wanted to thank you for posting those photos of your project. I tried to email you and tell you I used your photos in an article I wrote on Engineering the Arch.. I was never able to get in touch but here is the article on the site Mediterranean Lifestyles..

Here is a link that might be useful: Engineering the Arch: 4 ways to install architectural interior arches in your home..(# 3 is Arch kits)

    Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 1:27PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Just on observation
Just observing these forums I see the word "cheap"...
Precision Carpentry
Quartzite vs granite countertops
We are building a house. I have always wanted to use...
question about getting a bid from contractors
We're getting ready to put an addition on our house...
Stucco On French Door Installation
Hi, I am replacing a window with french doors in the...
Joint Compound on Plaster Walls - Discoloration and bubbles?
We are having joint compound applied to our old plaster...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™