Remodel needs new roof

ecrannyDecember 7, 2010

I am remodeling my kitchen, and I need to modify the roof above. Currently it is flat (no slope) and water puddles on top (there are no leaks yet). It has some sort of continuous zinc-like covering - could this be what is called hot-mopped? I need to install an external range hood blower on the roof, but a friend told me that it would be extremely difficult to do that without introducing leaks, and that building a new sloped roof over the original would eliminate possible leaks and allow an easy installation of the ducting/fan on the roof. I have 2 questions: 1) Anybody got any suggestions about how to deal with the roof in general and 2) How can I go about finding all the building codes that would be related. I know there is the IRC, but how do find out about State, City codes - is there a perticular name for these organizations? I am in Washington state, near Tacoma; if anybody is familiar with the 'local' authorities, please let me know who I need to talk to about building codes, permits etc


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Call your local building dept., listed in the phone book under government agencies.

    Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 5:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Small bath remodel - problem tub size
I could use some advice. We decided it is high time...
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
I need help with making a decision to paint golden oak wood or restain
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
Renovate (which plan?) or sell
We are trying to make a decision about renovating our...
Sponsored Products
Good Housekeeping Solar Screens
Lithonia Lighting Track Lighting 8 ft. Black Linear Track Lighting Section LTS8
$22.97 | Home Depot
Steps Three-Light Clear Glass Island Pendant
$398.00 | Bellacor
Gray & Yellow Elizabeth Comforter Set
$119.99 | zulily
Couristan Everest 6380/5987 Mosaic Panel Area Rug - Crimson/Multi Multicolor - 6
$699.00 | Hayneedle
Set of 2 Eames Style DSW Molded Pink Plastic Bar Stool with Wood Eiffel Legs
eModern Decor
Fleur-di-lis pewter napkin rings s/4
Origin Crafts
Flambeau Maiden Voyage Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™