Can a rookie do this

bergiesgirlMay 16, 2013

We just bought our first house and haven't even moved in, and the repairs are piling up. I don't even know what to call this, but the red brick part of the patio's high point is in the middle so the water flows both directions one being toward the house. I think years of that caused our more serious problem which is the cement looking part of the house has been eroded so water is getting on the slab.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, even if it's to call a professional because it's complicated

Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bergiesgirl

It would help to have an actual pic of the problem area, can't figure out how to do multiple pics

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 4:51PM
bergiesgirl

one more pic

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 4:52PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

One way or the other, it needs to be sloping away from the foundation.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 5:41PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Remove the patio and regrade the area, then redo the patio. It's backbreaking work, but it's definitely DIYable.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 7:30PM
bergiesgirl

So if we do that, does anything need yo be done with that portion that is already eroded?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:06AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It's hard to tell until you excavate that area if you'll need to do any repair there. It depends on where the foundation level actually IS, and it's condition as revealed by digging everything out.

If you prefer not to spend all summer digging in the hot sun, a landscape company can probably handle the whole project inside a week. Especially if you can get a little Bobcat in there.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:51AM
geoffrey_b

From looking at the first picture - I see a potentially major problem. The ground should slope AWAY from your home - atleast 1/4" per foot. It looks like the yard is higher than the patio.

This means you will have to raise the patio starting at the house.

It looks like your yard should be regraded.
I think it's too big a project for a new DIY'er.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:21PM
rwiegand

Assuming you're not afraid of some hard work it is a quite straightforward DIY project, with lots of instructional materials readily available. What makes it a good beginner DIY project is that if you don't get it right the first time you just pick up the bricks and try again-- there's nothing that is irreversible in the process and no expensive materials are spoiled in the event of error.

It is hard, heavy work though. You'll need to pull up the bricks, re-grade or replace the substrate underneath to get the proper drainage, compact it, then re-set the brickwork. Not rocket science, but you will probably get a few blisters.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™