toro mower leaking gas

txbrownthumbMay 12, 2010

Subject:

toro 550 recycler model 124707-318501

My toro mower, bought in 1995, has developed a gas leak. As i pour gas in the tank, it comes streaming out onto the frame. I'm not sure if it is a break in the hose or something else. How can i check where the leak in coming from? The engine has endured summer after hot, dusty summer here in Texas and is still going. I'd rather repair it than buy a new one.

txbrownthumb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

By taking off the fuel line, you should be able to see if it's loose, if there's a bad fitting or the line is cracked or split.
If that's not it, my next guess would be a problem in the carburator reservoir (float or drain valve).

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 4:31PM
brickeyee

If the gas comes puring out I would suspect a broken fuel line.

15 year old rubber is liable to be dry and cracked, especially on a fuel line.

They are not nearly the same grade as used in vehicles.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 5:14PM
txbrownthumb

I checked the rubber fuel line that goes to the carborater;
i could not find a leak or a split. When i detached one end of the line (the one under the tank), gas came flowing out of the opened end- which makes me wonder if the tank itself is cracked. Otherwise, fuel would be leaking constantly (i would think). Instead, the fuel leaks only when i pour it into the tank. Actually, it does not start leaking until i fill the tank almost full, and then it leaks from under the tank.

However, you're probably right that the line needs replacing. Will i need to remove the tank to see if there is a crack?

txbrownthumb

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 5:29PM
txbrownthumb

I did remove the tANK, found no cracks. i'll replace the hose, seee if that is the problem.

thanks

txbrownthumb

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:05AM
kudzu9

I had exactly the same problem with mine last spring. I called a repair place and they said that it was probably a seal or gasket inside the carburetor. Apparently it's not too hard to do, but I decided I would let them fix it. It cost about $50 for the problem to be fixed, and it turned out to be what they originally said it was over the phone.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:20PM
txbrownthumb

I checked the tank again and discovered a crack. After a test, i confirmed the tank is leaking. Is there a plastic that will bond to the tank to stop the leak? A new tank is $50, which may not sound like much but I'm retired on a fixed income and sometimes i have to "make do."

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 6:09PM
kudzu9

I wouldn't try to repair that. First, I can't think of anything that will reliably work over the long term, and second, it will pose a fire hazard if/when the crack opens up again or lengthens. Since money is a problem, see if you can get a used gas tank by calling a repair service, or putting an ad on CraigsList, or by posting on Freecycle.org.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™