drainage using corrugated piping

yelkenli_2010May 8, 2010

I have two downspouts with 4" corrugated pipes coming off their ends. they need to come together in a Y and then continue draining downhill away from the house.

I have two problems. 1) the T's and Y's at the store have 3 female ends. I would expect one end to be male, so that it could fit into a female end. this way, water would flow only on the inside of the pipe system, and not on the outside and into the dirt.

2) one of the pipes runs 16 feet across. the original installer, used a 10 foot section and 6 feet of a second section. Since the run is close to horizontal, it seems the water would leak out of the joint. the male end is shoved into the female end, but there is no caulking.

both of these issues are for piping that is close to the uphill side of my house. currently, I have water running through my crawl space. I think these are the source.

How should this drainage system work, and are there any experts or websites that even explain how this drainage piping and fittings work together.



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If I needed water-tight drainage, I wouldn't use corrugated piping. Taping or using sealant on the joints might work for a while, but the material itself isn't rugged enough for long term durability.

    Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 9:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The corrugated pipes also breed mosquitoes.

Enough water hangs around in the bottom of the pipe to make lots of little pools for the buggers to lay eggs.

Use PVC DWV pipes.
It is really worth the trouble.

The lines are easier to clear when they get glogged with debris.

    Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Lowes and HD also sell schedule 20 PVC (schedule 40 is DWV)

I only use the corrugated stuff if I have too. I use schedule 20 under lawn, and schedule 40 if its going to be driven over. If I were not cheap, I would do all schedule 40.

    Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 2:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

All great points. I had the same concern about pooling water, especially in the horizontal areas.

I wonder why more people are not concerned about this.


    Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Polyethylene (HPDE) corrugated pipe is intended for use underground (perforated and unperforated). It is cheaper, more flexible, less brittle and easier to install then PVC.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 7:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

An alternate for underground use would be 4" smooth SDR-35 gasketed PVC sewer pipe. It should not be exposed to UV light for more than 2 years.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 7:43AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Stranges lines in frost pattern on roof
I have these lines on the roof when there is a frost....
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™