bathroom cleaner for 1,000 times less

measure_twiceMay 11, 2005

I wrote about using grocery store chemicals for the pool. Here are two pool chemicals I use inside the home.

Dow bathroom cleaner spray is about $2.50 for about 18 oz of bactericide at .01 percent concentration. Price per gallon: $17.22

The active antibacterial ingredient is dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. This is a quaternary ammonium chloride.

The same active ingredient is in HTH pool algaecide, quaternary ammonium chloride, 10 percent, a half gallon for about $5 at WalMart

That half-gallon will make 500 gallons of sterilizing solution for your home. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water is .013 percent. Price per gallon: $0.01. Yep, one cent per gallon. 1,700 times less expensive than the bottled bathroom cleaner. Sometimes I am not careful and use 1 tsp per quart because I use quart size spray bottles. At those prices, I can be less than precise.

BTW, I don't use quaternary algaecide in my pool because it foams too much - I get algaecide just for the house.

Don't like that chemical for sterilizing? Chlorine bleach at 50-100 ppm is an *excellent* anti-bacterial cleaner. A tablespoon of household bleach in a gallon of water will give that concentration. It is not strong enough to etch stainless steel. Bleach smell is very small and dissipates quickly. Don't fret if you use standard 5% bleach or ultra 6.75%. It is good for 2 days before the active chlorine dissapates, but what the heck, make up a fresh gallon each time so you don't use stale stuff.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynne_melb

Thanks measure_twice. Will the hth kill mold and mildew?
What do you use in your pool if you get algae?

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
ellendi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™