Water Damage

holly210May 9, 2014

There is water damage on a piece of vertical trim which adjoins two sides of my addition's walls. One guy said it was my builder's fault and that there appears to be too little drip pan, flashing, etc. I asked how could he see the flashing and he said he would have to remove the siding to see it. I called the builder and he said the guy was trying to rip me off but didn't really respond to "flashing" message. The builder said he would fix it but I want to make sure he understands that I don't want water in my home behind the walls. In other words, I doubt he will pull off the siding and now I wonder if the other guy was not telling me the truth. I will upload more pics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm not certain of what I am seeing but if the white corner with damage at bottom is wood,I don't like the installation. There is indeed metal and vinyl trim that is very effective. If that is Hardie siding,using hardie as trim instead of wood is a no brainer. IMO,caulking isn't nessary when the job is properly flashed. I have rough sawn cedar and redwood on a portion of my home. Not one speck of caulk and it's water tight. With that said,I believe splash on the ground is what rotted the piece. If so,it should be simple to cure that.

    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 2:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the reply. I posted more pics--couldn't figure out how to piut them in one place. Anyway, the whole piece is rotted out all the way to the top. It can be seen in the other pics. It is Hardie siding. I am wondering if the water is coming in from the top. The builder used caulk between this piece and the hardie siding.

    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 12:05PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
T1-11 siding: Replacing rusted z-flashing?
I have several questions about z-flashing for T1-11...
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
HydroShield Sealant?
I have some granite that is failing to maintain stain...
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Sponsored Products
Burns Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Chrome 12 Round Rainshower Shower Head & Rectangular Wall Mounted Arm
Hudson Reed
Contemporary Square Shower Faucet with Hand Shower
Wave Hello Coasters - Set of 4
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
C-Shell Satin Nickel LED 10.5-Inch Two Light Bath Fixture
$370.00 | Bellacor
Ridged Oval Stainless Steel Watering Can with Brass Accents
Signature Hardware
Quest Concealed 2 Outlet Triple Thermostatic Shower Valve (Slim Plate)
Hudson Reed
Alfresco Home Weave Cast Aluminum 40 Square Dining Table
$678.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™