Are these termite fecal pellets?

hotpoterMay 12, 2012

My wife found these little piles of black sandy things 5 days ago, 2 days ago and now today.

Is this termite pellets and is the tiny hole near the top made my termites?

Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Termite, carpenter ant or other wood eating critter. It's time to call an exterminator.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 8:37PM
brickeyee

Carpenter ants do not eat wood, they excavate galleries to live in,

The waste looks like sawdust.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:39AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Whatever it is certainly is not good, time for an expert to look and see exactly what.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 4:18AM
hotpoter

Thanks everyone!

The thing is a termite inspector has already checked my house and spot treated all the areas that had issues (total of 8 spots around the house and garage). The inspector told me the termite problem is not serious enough for tenting.

This is a new spot that we've found. I'm concerned there are other infected areas around the house and perhaps spot treatment is not a good solution.

Should I tent the house? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 12:40PM
randy427

You amy need a better inspector, or at least a return trip. How long ago was it inspected?

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:19AM
tjburke

Do have a small bug in your area called a "potato bug"? These are small oval shaped grey bugs. They like moist wood/ dirt. That is what it looks like to me ( or what I was told ) I am am in Massachusetts -Cape Cod. To solve this is to keep your basement and house as dry as possible. PLEASE let us know what your exterminator say's they are.
Regards

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 10:45AM
hotpoter

I live in Southern California and my 1954 house (newly renovated about a year and half ago) was inspected two month ago and the termite inspector found 2 spots in the house (attic) and 6 spots in the detached garage.

This new spot in the picture was found a week ago by my wife.

Two month ago, the inspector told us the issue is NOT serious enough to tent the house, spot treatment is sufficient.

He came back a few days ago and treated the spot my wife found and said again don't be alarmed, this is a minor issue.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 2:13PM
kelko

I, too, found a pile of small black "pellets" that looked just like that and thought I had termites. What it turned out to be was earwigs. I sprayed the area with something like Raid and within an hour I had several dead bugs. I never saw them during the day, just kept getting piles of that black stuff each day next to my front door. I swept it off and the next day it would be back. The bug spray took care of it for me.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™