Needs some Curb Appeal!

AbrdDecember 4, 2012

thread removed

This post was edited by Abrd on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 11:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

1. Shutters on the windows.
2. Foundation plantings to cover up the basement wall
3. A sidewalk of some kind to connect the front door to the driveway or wherever guests will park.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:00PM
Annie Deighnaugh

I agree with weedy acres. I would also add railing on the sides of the front porch. If you don't do shutters, at least beef up the trim around the windows.

I'd also paint the front door a different accent color. I like to see at least 3 colors on a house, maybe 4...the walls, the trim, the shutters and the front door.....

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:00PM
mjlb

Do you have any photos that show more about the area around the house? To me, it has a definite farmhouse vibe (is that a barn behind?) But maybe the window trim was removed when siding was added? And the largest window looks to be a replacement one. Adding window trim would help tremendously.

It looks like an add'l step may be needed at the front door, and the porch columns could be beefed up. The gutters are quite prominent too, altho' I don't know anything about how to change them while preserving their function.

The wider view of the lot would help with landscaping suggestions. Even tho' you want to add some curb appeal, I find your house quite appealing.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:03PM
MartinJames

@Abrd
1. Shutters on the windows.
2. Foundation plantings to cover up the basement wall
3. A sidewalk of some kind to connect the front door to the driveway or wherever guests will park.

These all things are much better for improve your home.
Thanks Lot!!

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 12:52AM
scrappy25

Agree with all , especially the shutters or trim around the windows and larger columns. Sidewalk for sure.

In the future, I'd rebuilt that porch into a gable roof. Your house would then look like it had a face and that often conveys tremendous charm.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 2:13PM
stolenidentity

No shutters! Trees, a bright door color, different color trim around the windows, maybe a patio to one side of the front steps, and some evergreen shrub around the whole front of the house. Maybe even a window box under the upper windows, but NO shutters.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
Ideas on changing floorplan / budget remodel for family home.
Hello; We are a family of five. Currently our oldest...
newdawn2001
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
Stair Problem
I'm hoping someone has a brilliant idea for me! I...
isabelyw
Bad Countertop Fabrication
Hello, Hoping to get some advice/opinions! We just...
diynola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™