Bathroom Remodel Help

monkeystomachDecember 14, 2010

Hi Guys!

So, I am finally starting to reconstruct everything that I have destroyed over the last few months and I need your help.

I have put the new tub in its place and I am not sure what to do about the gap. I have it flush with the studs on the back (long) side, and the right side where the drain is. There is one twisted stud that I will have to shave down and put a straight one beside it, but other than that, two of the three sides are looking good.

As you can see in the attached image(s), there is roughly a 1" gap on the left side of the tub. Now, I am not sure how to word the rest of this post so please forgive me.

I plan on waterproofing this alcove with Kerdi, and need your help with hanging the drywall.

Should I use furring strips to fill the 1" gap on the left side, and then use 1/4" furring strips on top of that for the drywall? If I do that method, should I then continue to fur all of the studs on that wall with 1.25" furring strip to make the wall flat? Since the right (drain) side is already flush, should I also continue to fur that whole wall with 1/4" furring strips in order to make everything flat?

Does that make sense? it does in my head?

I'm worried about the butt joints and recessed joints when I hang the drywall? what kind of layout should I use? Should I use a solid sheet of drywall to do the whole wall including the alcove? Should I try to avoid recessed joints around the tub?

Thanks,

Ed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffrow

Ed,

If it was me I would not shim the walls at all other than your crooked stud.
First, how is the tub to be attached? Are you setting it in mud? It looks like a Kohler Archer.

Using Kerdi I think you have a perfect fit right now. Drywall either down past the lip to self shim the tub or stop at the lip if it make the centering better re the faucet.

Kerdi down to 1/4" or so of the tub deck and Kerdi-fix. Tile, thinset and Kerdi will cover the slight bump-out at the tub lip and you won't have to worry about matching drywall.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 7:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tim45z10

First thing I would do is attach the drain. It may affect the position of the tub.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Questions about attic & insulation
1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this...
lucas_tx_gw
Dog Grooming/Bathing Station, show me your pictures, please
I really need to include a bathing/grooming area in...
thbennet
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
Pocket door questions
I am considering a butler's pantry/scullery addition...
rockybird
4" or 5" rounded newell posts--where to order?
Is there such a thing as a 4" or 5" round...
bisondaktelcom
Sponsored Products
Hendrik Olde Bronze Three-Light Wall Sconce
$209.00 | Bellacor
Palms Chrome Three-Light Bath Light with White Linen Glass
$75.45 | Bellacor
Orange Accessory Set Made of Thermoplastic Resins
TheBathOutlet
American Imaginations Bathroom Wall Mount Rectangle Vessel Sink in White for 4
Home Depot
Kraus KCV-122 White Rectangular Ceramic Sink - KCV-122
$109.95 | Hayneedle