Drainage Away from Foundation Suggestions

mowerman1193May 25, 2011

My house is on a slab with cinder block walls about 3 - 4 feet up. One side of the house is somewhat under ground while the other is ground level. The side that is underground always seems to get wet when it rains and has ruined many pieces of carpet over the years. I have installed seamless gutters on the sides.

Now I am looking to build some sort of drainage landscape system and am looking for suggestions considering I don't know what products might be available. I was planning to dig out to the bottom of the foundation maybe 2 - 2.5 feet from foundation and try to taper the ground away from the foundation and lay out some heavy black plastic and fill it back in with 1-2" stone on top.

I am not afraid of work and grabbing the shovel for something that will work good..But I am not wanting to do the job if its not going to do any good..That's why I am asking for some suggestions as to what will work..Is there some sort of underground gutter systems to direct water away from the house? I am sure there is something out there as i know I am not the only one that has had water seep into the house..

Mostly only one small bedroom is the only part that seeps water in a heavy rainfall. But I will probably just do the whole 3/4 of the house that is under ground..

Thanks for all your suggestions/tips

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Regrading your yard to improve the drainage and adding a drywell is a good plan. However this isn't a DIY job unless you have a backhoe and bobcat. Contact several large landscaping companies for estimates.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 4:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You can grade the surface away fro the foundation, and even install impervious buried material to limit water penetration near the wall.

You are likely to need to dig to the footer and install drainage to have any hope of solving the problem reliably though.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Roof leak - strange behavior
I hope someone can help here... History: our roof...
chanj
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™