Keeping bacon, deli meats, lettuce etc fresher longer!

Glitter53May 24, 2005

Don't toss those cereal bags from inside your cereal boxes!

They're treated with a preserving agent (kept your cereals fresh, right?;-) and if you remove bacon from its original wrapper, rinse it all and place it into a cereal bag...voila! No gungy, goopy bacon, ever! The same with deli meats, lettuce, anything you want to keep fresher longer!

You're gonna love this one!! ;-D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie26

I am not sure if I understand. Do you rinse the bacon bag, put the bacon back in it and then put this package in the cereal wrapper? Do you keep all items in their original packaging and then place them in the cereal bags? Of course, I just threw away a box of cereal with its bag inside it. LOL

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 3:46PM
Glitter53

Marie: toss out any packaging that the bacon, meats, etc came in. I rinse the bacon as it comes out of the package (as a whole), then pop it into the cereal bag.
Those packages that deli meats, bacon come in don't have any cereal bag preservatives in them, so the contents deteriorate more quickly. The bags are also great for any fresh veggies, too!
Honestly!!! You're gonna love this and treasure those cereal box bags! ;-D

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 8:50AM
budster

Thanks glitter I've been waiting for you to clear this up a bit more just so I can try it. I've got two bags saved up already. Can't wait to try this one for myself.

Bookmark   May 27, 2005 at 10:41AM
Shrimpie

Is it possible that this would also work with the bags that come in cracker boxes? We are rye Triscuit maniacs, and I always have plenty of those... though they're heavier I think than cereal bags... I'll give it a try and let you know.

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 11:57PM
Glitter53

Yes, even cracker bags work! Keeps those crackers crisp and fresh....does the same for refrigerator foods...I use them for green onions, lettuce, deli meats, bacon, anything I want to keep fresher longer!
You're gonna love me for this one! hahaha!!!

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 8:41AM
marie26

Do you rinse out the original cereal bag? What do you use to seal the bag with the new contents?

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 8:39PM
joyfulguy

Twist the open corner and seal it with those plastic doo-hickeys that hold bread bags closed.

I have a question.

They tell us to reheat food only in plastic containers that are microwave safe, as some of the chemicals in other types of plastic which may leach out into watery foods during heating/cooking may be harmful.

As prepared cereals are dry, do you suppose that some of the chemicals that impregnate the cereal bags might be harmful after leaching into replacement contents that have some liquid/water/fat in them?

Enjoy your weekend.

ole joyful

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 4:14PM
Glitter53

;-D Hasn't hurt me yet, Joyfulguy! Actually, I doubt that the BHT (?) in the bags would be harmful if moist foods were put into them. I'm sure there would be a warning of some sort and/or they wouldn't be approved at all, even for dry foods. Just mho...I guess if I were concerned I could do a little research...

I'm curious to know if anyone's tried this and found that it saves their meats/lettuce for longer periods of time...I'm never faces with 'mucky' deli meats or bacon or wilted lettuce! Enjoy!

Anyway....from one Ontarian to another, Joyful....hope you try it anyway, and find it helpful! ;-)

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 12:03PM
smom40

With deli meat, if I buy in bulk more than I need, I just freeze it. The day before I want it, I take it out and thaw it in the refrigerator.

Bookmark   October 10, 2005 at 10:07PM
shauna1970

I bought Fridgesmart products from a friend who sells Tupperware, and they are AWESOME! Granted, they are an outlay at first, but they keep fresh veggies fresh at least twice as long, and lunchmeat and cheese too! It has little vents to adjust the amount of "breathing" the vegetables do and a printed on chart to tell you how to set the vents for different items. I love them. Of course, I spent a fortune at a party and then went yard saling and found some pieces for a few dollars from a former consultant who was clearing out her inventory. Ebay is another good place to look for it. I highly recommend it!

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 8:46PM
lizql

I have the Fridgesmart and they are't working for me. Is there some trick that I don't know about?

Bookmark   December 1, 2005 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
What about saving money when renovating?
Does anyone have any tips for that?
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Zoo Animal Bookend – Badger
Serena & Lily
Kona Bronze One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Blue Matte Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
4-piece Glass Teapot w/ Strainer & Warmer
Overstock.com
Soap Basket with Sponge Holder
Signature Hardware
City Lights Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo