how to end crown molding at a inside corner???

jaansuDecember 7, 2011

I am installing large crown molding in my kitchen and one wall ends at the family room where it encounters a ceiling beam. I can butt the molding right up against the beam. Is it possible to cut it a few inches short and fashion a 'return' on the molding end? I haven't tried this yet but I know it can be down with regular molding. My question is, what is usually done in this instance? I don't think I ever see crown that just ends at a wall. Usually it continues along the new wall. I want to install what is considered the standard style for this situation but I'm not sure how to look it up. And if it should be a 'return,' how do I fashion it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Just but it to the beam.

Returns are used when you need to end in the open, not against something.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 1:23PM
weedyacres

I agree: butt it to the beam.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 1:27PM
Billl

You can do whatever you think looks better. If there is just a single beam, I'd think butting into it would look fine. If it is something more like a bunch of rustic, exposed beams, then I'd stop short. A 3rd option would be to treat the beam like a 4th wall to the room and just wrap the crown all the way around.

A crown return is very easy. You just cut is like you would an outside corner and run it straight back to the wall.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 1:47PM
renovator8

Why not continue it on the beam?

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 6:51PM
jaansu

Thank you all. I suggested to my wife to continue it on the beam but she voted against it. I shall simply butt it to the beam.
While I have your attention, I have another room where part of the ceiling follows the roof contour, thus the ceiling slants down at this point to a bookshelf wall. I think it would look odd to bring the crown down to the bookshelf which is only ~5' high. Thus I want to end the crown at the ceiling point where the wall/ceiling line begins to descend. How to end at this point? I could put in a return or I could do a more complex cut so that crown met all three surfaces.
Maybe I should repost this since the title is off focus now?

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 9:30PM
weedyacres

Can you post a photo of the second wall?

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 6:34PM
Billl

We had a couple rooms like that in our old house and the builder just put in returns. Looked fine.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 9:45AM
brickeyee

Returns look fine to end the molding 'in air' (as opposed to against something).

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
Shaker style question
What are y'all's opinions on Shaker style cabinetry....should...
janelor
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Plaster Ceiling - cut and sheetrock or sheetrock over
We are remodeling our house and have taken down a wall...
barb50
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™