Tar & Gravel rook leak

htraceyMay 5, 2011

We bought our old (100 year old) house 2 years ago. Its an up/down douplex, and the updatirs tennants have just moved out. We got 2 inches of rain last night and when my husband went upstairs to do some work, he noticed that the roof was leaking in the bathroom. I have no idea how long this has been happening or why they didn't tell us (I'm a bit irritated about that).

When we bought the house, we were told the roof was 8 years old, putting it at about 10 years now. Are leaks in a tar and gravel roof normal at this age? I thought they were a 20 year roof!

Is this repairable? Can we do the repairs ourselves. I read somewhere that once your tar & gravel roof starts leaking, the whole roof is pretty much done... I really hope that isn't the case...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

I'm surprised that anyone would still use a tar and gravel roof even 8-10 years ago. Membrane roofs have pretty much made tar and gravel obsolete.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 8:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

First, I'd go up on the roof to look for anything obvious, such as deteriorated flashing at the roof edge, chimney or any penetration. You may also find a soft spot in the roof surface if there is significant water damage. Flashing repairs are usually fairly simple, other leaks are not so easily found or remedied. Of course, the leak in the roof isn't necessarily where you see the evidence from inside as the water can travel, unseen, until it finds a low spot in the rafter or ceiling to leak down.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Fixing a small drywall mark?
I accidentally tapped the corner of my iPad against...
Raident
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Sponsored Products
Black & Red Entertainer Food Carrier
$34.99 | zulily
SunStopper Sun Blocker 99 16 x 8-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNBLK-16X8-MNU
Hayneedle
Gravel D89 Tool Bag
$29.99 | zulily
Night Bloom Bottle Carrier & Cheese Set
$19.99 | zulily
Kraus Virtus KEF-15501 Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - KEF-15501BN
$149.95 | Hayneedle
Henri Studio Valencia Cherub Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Kraus Ventus KEF-15000 Vessel Sink Faucet - KEF-15000BN
$149.95 | Hayneedle
Kraus Unicus KEF-14300 Vessel Sink Faucet - KEF-14300CH