Casement window repair

Austin78May 13, 2012

I have an old casement window (probably from the 80s - manufacturer unknown) and it will not open. The crank just spins - in both directions - but does not move the window. The crank case is sealed, so there doesn't seem to be a way to get into the mechanism. Any thoughts on how to repair this??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Austin78

Here is a picture.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 11:28AM
rangerdon

Austin, can you remove the handle? It might be stripped. If so, you just need a replacement handle. I had windows like that & the mechanism is mounted from below. If it's not a stripped handle, removal is the only option, I believe.
Don

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 5:58AM
millworkman

A lumberyard should be able to order you replacement operators if that is what is required, the are fairly easy to remove with the window open.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:47AM
Jumpilotmdm

That hardware was probably made by TRUTH, if that helps. You will need to get the window open somehow to be able to service the hardware.
It's probably painted shut or brick-bound. pry gently to make it swing open while someone inside turns the spinning handle and maybe it will bite.

Good luck

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:46PM
ksissy

I live near Cinti OH. I buy all of my window parts (esp my casement windows) from Pickens Window Service in Cinti. They have thous of window parts. Our windows are also about 25 yrs old. Ours are Malta and they look a lot like yours. You could probably order the parts that you need from Pickens. Here is the URL www.pickenswindowparts.com. They have always been able to help me with the windows that we have ie screens, cranks, etc. Very nice and easy to deal with.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Roof leak - strange behavior
I hope someone can help here... History: our roof...
chanj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™