Remove door handle to paint - how to?

qmarkerMay 13, 2013

I have a new condo that has an exterior storage closet. The door handle is awfully faded from the sun & I want to spray paint it back to black to match the entry door just a few feet away.

My problem is I've never removed a door 'handle'. I always had round knobs in the house I just sold. This is the long handle type and it locks with a key.

I've never removed or dealt with anything but a round knob without a lock and also never took one out or installed one with a lock.

Am I thinking over my head or can someone tell me this is not brain surgery and I can do it. I am not afraid to tackle much of anything but I don't want to mess up an outside lock and have to call a locksmith.

I see the two phillips head screws one on top and bottom of the long handle which no doubt remove it but will I mess up the locking mechanism in any way or is putting it back together a no-brainer?

Thank you for your advice.
Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Many are held on with a pair of set screws, some with a single screw, others with all sorts of odd ball latching mechanisms.

Try removing the screws.

If they are hex recess (AKA 'Allen' head screws) make sure you use a quality correctly sized wrench.

It should barely fit in the recess.

Bondhus and Allen are both good brands.

'No names' are rarely sized or hardened correctly.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:27

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Without a picture, I'm not sure what you mean by 'long handle', but taking it off by removing the two screws is the way to go.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Roof repair -- fair price?
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here and...
vashts85
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™