Portable AC/Heater

Partsman41953May 6, 2012

Hello,

My central AC unit is out and until I can get it replaced I am looking for a portable AC/heater to use to cool my 500+ sq foot living room. I have looked online on a few different models but I am not sure which one to purchase. I have looked at the Delonghi, Soleus, and Edge Star but like I said not sure at this point which is the best one. This unit is going to be on a hardwood floor so I am looking at a unit that will not leak.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Combination units are more expensive than separate units. portable units are more expensive than window units. None are guaranteed not to leak. You have to monitor the water produced.

You'd be better off putting that $500-$700 into repairing what you currently have.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 12:54PM
lazypup

I would begin by getting a 2nd opinion on your central. Far too many HVAC techs get a commission for selling new units so they are sometimes quick to condemn a unit rather than repair it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 4:04PM
Partsman41953

I have had 4 people take a look at my 15 year old Carrier split system AC/heat pump unit and they all would not recommend putting any more money into the system as not only is the fan going but also the control box needs to be replaced as no power is going to the thermostats. I would rather not put any more money into that system and purchase a portable unit until I can replace the central air hopefully the first part of next year. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:25AM
ionized_gw

Don't buy a portable heat pump with one hose. Consider only those with two hoses, one for intake and one for exhaust.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™