Using a 1/2HP Door Opener for a 16' Wide Sliding Door

hachMay 25, 2010

Dear Friends:

Hopefully this forum will help me with this issue...

I have a 139.53648SRT2 Model Craftsman Door Opener which I used several years for a 8' wide sliding door, actually I used two for two doors the same size at the same gate. Now, I remodeled my house and put a new single gate, 16' wide!, with double wheels and top and bottom.

Somebody told me I could use one of the same door openers to operate the sliding gate. I bought an extension T-rail/chain/cable for it and added the extra length needed. Another piece of info is it takes about 230 lbs to initially pull/push the gate to open or close (A dealer employee told me the capacity of these motors is about 340lbs...).

Well, I did all the required extension work and tested the motor before installing... only to find out it only slides about 11' and not the 16 feet I need to fully open or close my gate.

Any ideas about this situation? Am I using the right door opener or I have to find or buy another model? Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks for any help... Blessings,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

These openers are limited by the design of the open and close limit assembly. Even adding an additional extension would not help you. Genie uses a simpler limit control which may be the answer to your problem. Unfortunately it involves replacing the opener.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 9:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hach

Thanks Don...

I was afraid that was my only solution.
Any ideas or advise on possible makes/models I should use will be highly appreciated. I am in Honduras but can source it in the US easily.

Blessings

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™