Can I seal brick to concrete block gap in my garage?

T454May 8, 2012

We bought a house that has a garage, house is vinyl sided with brick veneered concrete block foundation. They continued the veneer into the garage for a finished look I assume. The garage does not have a door, and we are having problems with miscellaneous insects and snakes getting into the air gap between the load bearing block and the veneer.

The block has galvanized metal termite shield on it with a somewhat jagged edge extending to the air gap area.

My wife is having a fit for me to seal the gap so the creatures will nest elsewhere. My question is can I mortar or caulk this gap up (1/4" to 3/4" gap) or does it need to be left open? We have a lot of termite activity on our property and have came across several mounds of termites and had to burn a lot of scrap materials left by the builders/previous homeowner that were infested, will I have termite problem if I seal up the air gap (since the shield does not extend across)? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

Leave it open. It's a weep hole for any moisture that might get behind the brick. You can try screening it. Hardware cloth?

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 3:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

You should check with your termite control company, if you have one, about closing that up even if you don't bridge the termite shield. I am having trouble visualizing it. You may want it open to check for termite activity depending on what kind of termites you have in your area.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™