How to fix a door that isn't straight?

enmnmMay 13, 2011

So my bedroom door wasn't hung precisely vertically. If it isn't closed completely, it always swings open. When the window is open and a breeze comes through at night, the door makes the most awful banging noise as the wind blows the door shut, over and over. When the door is closed I guess it only swings open a centimeter, but that's enough to make the banging noise.

Is there a way to fix this? If I have to rehang the door, can someone provide instructions as to what to do with the old holes? They would be so very close to the new holes...would that be structurally bad for the frame?

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

The hinge side of your jamb is out of plumb. The casing will have to come off to replumb. As for the door being sloppy when closed you may be able to correct that by bending the metal flap within the strike toward the door.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 7:56AM
kudzu9

Well, the easiest thing to try first is to take the pins out of the hinges, lay them on a concrete surface, and give each one a modest rap or two in the center; then reinstall. This will bend the pin slightly and provide more friction so the door won't be as easily blown open. IF you need to make the hinge stiffer, take the pins back out and bend them a little more.

As for the door having a centimeter of play when closed...something is wrong here. Do you have a strike plate installed? If so, there should be minimal play once the bolt engages with the hole in the strike plate. Provide more details.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:23PM
enmnm

Thanks so much. I found a temporary, easy fix.

You know those little velvet sticker things that you can put on the bottom of bric-a-brac to prevent them from scratching the furniture, they're about the size of a thumb tack. We stuck two of them onto the vertical door stop. No more banging noise.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
thebigad
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™