replace gutters or just downspouts?

chiefsfanMay 17, 2013

The gutters themselves look fine, but the downspout outlets are 2 inch round with 2 x 3 downs exiting the roof. The previous owner bent the 2x3 to go over the round outlet. I am thinking of 3x4 downs in place of the existing downs. I plan to widen the existing downs outlet to 3x4. Or it may be better just to make it all new.

I have 2 large oak trees and that string stuff they drop clogs the opening quickly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sdello

Typically you want the same or larger openings downstream to prevent back up at full flow. If you find a cure for the oak tree string stuff PLEASE let me know. I have yet to find a reliable "filter" as they just make things clog sooner and everything overruns the downspout anyway. Regular cleaning is the best solution (At least mine are reasonably accessible).

FWIW I put new seamless aluminum gutters a few years back because the roof was done and things really didn't change over my existing wooden gutters.

At one time I tried gutter guards (expanded metal type screens) and in my opinion it was more difficult to get the tangles out of the screens.

Good luck

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 4:21PM
chiefsfan

i have been looking for a solution too. So far the best has been a leaf blower. I did check out other houses that do have the 3x4 downs and they had clogs from those stupid oak debris.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 7:55AM
pkovo

Seamless gutters are expensive...downspouts are very cheap. I would not replace the gutters unless they are shot.

I would try to widen the opening and go with bigger down spouts. Shouldn't be expensive so why not. Keep bends to a minimum and make them gradual to prevent clogs.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 4:22PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

Are you doing this yourself of paying a company to do it?

Are you putting in leaf protection at the same time?

Most folks just want to pay a professional to do it as it is a bit difficult work and can be dangerous.

Once you get past the job cost minimums, you may not find that the expense of the gutters is that much.

Can you post up a picture?

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Can you clear my doubt about home security system?
I have a home security system installed recently. Do...
jeckjiem
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
Sponsored Products
Ava California King Bed
$2,039.00 | Horchow
BEGA | Impact Resistant LED Ceiling and Wall Light - 3482
$288.00 | YLighting
GlideRite 1.25-inch Oil-rubbed Bronze Hammered Pyramid Cabinet Knobs (Pack of 10
Overstock.com
11 Inch High Oval Bulkhead -Black
$36.00 | Bellacor
Viper Eclipse Electronic Dart Board - 42-1020
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Self-Propelled Mower Replacement Blades
$9.50 | FRONTGATE
Veil Brown Glass LED Tech Track Pendant for Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
2-pc. Sophia Outdoor Rocker Chair Cushions
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for: