mushroom hunting

natalija_gardenerApril 9, 2010

I am thinking about joining some club of so called mycologist(mushroom hunters and lovers). I like mushrooms and after reading the book "Opposum living"(which some of you mentioned here earlier)I want to find some folks who are knowledgible about that issue in my area and may be join them. The one website I found in my area (Western WA) looks very interesting - they have meetings every month, a lot of field trips and othe fun events. But membership is 25$ a year. I would prefer to find something like that for free;-))

does anybody know any info on that? Some web-sites?

Does anybody do that ?

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

If you do not know your mushrooms joining for a year could be a good trial. If you find that you do not enjoy the group then let membership lasp at the end of the year. With mushrooms what you do not know can kill you or make you very sick.

A word of caution though, do not let first impressions spoil it for you, since mushroom hunters often march to a different drummer. It may take several meetings until you feel comfortable.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:10PM
cryptandrus

I agree with maifleur completely.

Do not take any chances with wild mushrooms that have not been positively identified by someone who is an expert.

Mistakes can have dire consequences.

It's best to learn how to i.d. a couple of varieties at a time, in person, with a group. I think it's worth $25.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 1:14PM
jannie

When I was a kid, a local family went mushroom hinting. Everyone died that night from eating poison mushrooms. There are too many bad mushrooms out there. Not wirth trying to be frugal. Buy mushrooms from a good store and you won't die.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 8:09AM
lazy_gardens

For what it's worth ... my mycology professors did not do any mushroom hunting outside the grocery store.

When the experts won't do it, the amateurs should stay out of there.

The problem is that - with a few exceptions - there are so many look-alikes and look-almost-alikes out there that you need to pick them in the right stage of development and look at exactly the right part of the mushroom or tell poisonous from non-poisonous.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
hail damage
is it necessary to have hail damage insurance in MN...
stoveguyy
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
Coupons
I would like to start checking out coupons to save...
alameda/zone 8
Holiday decorations
Hey all, I've got a great money saving tip for everyone. You...
TmF1
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™