Low-income Canadians - No-cost income tax preparation

joyfulguyApril 12, 2005

If your income as a single is under around $20,000. or as a family about $25,000. call your local Canada Revenue Agency to find out whether there's a clinic near you where volunteers trained by the income tax people prepare income tax returns for low-income people without charge.

There are hundreds of such clinics throughout Canada - about a dozen such in London, a city of just uner 350,000 and some in towns in surrounding counties.

I'd hoped to get such clinics organized in Huron County, where I lived about 25 years ago, where there were none, 30 - 60 miles north, but am embarrassed to report that I haven't done it ... yet.

Or there may be individuals who've had such training that offer the service - some at their location, some at yours.

It must be a simple return - no complicated investments, farm or business situations, etc. are covered.

Good wishes for being able to reduce your liability.

As I'm to go as a volunteer to a clinic in a shopping centre on Thursday and didn't take the training upgrade this year, thought I should become familiar with the system, so did a preliminary run-through of my own tax last night.

With income somewhat less than $40,000. I'll need to pay less than $3,600. tax, if I've calculated correctly.

I figure that if you can arrange to pay less than 10% in tax, you're not doing too badly.

Having worked as a personal financial advisor for 20 years ... helps.

A number of people and agencies offer tax preparation service at this time of year. I've called several to ask whether a number of their clients ask, at the conclusion of their session, for suggestions as to how they might arrange their affairs somewhat differently to result in a lower tax bill in later years.

Almost everyone says that they almost never get asked such a question.

I'm astonished - someone who prepares my tax return knows quite a lot about my business. Knowing the tax rules as that person does, almost certainly they could offer suggestions that could well reduce my tax load substantially.

Avoiding taxes ifs every taxpayer's opportunity - it's evading them that gets one into trouble.

Good wishes for effective use of your money.

ole joyful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joyfulguy

Hi all,

Income tax season was over April 30 - so it's time to get this message started down th list ...

... on its way to oblivion.

Which takes a lot longer on this slow-moving (slow-thinking?) place than on KT, etc.

Have a great weekend, all.

ole joyful

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...
A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the...
budster
Barcode on the envelope?
I used a envelope which has barcode on it to send a...
kuangmao
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
Food preserving
We all know vacuum packing food preserves it without...
Curt D'Onofrio
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
Sponsored Products
Compamia Ares Resin Square Patio Dining Table - ISP164-BLA
$249.00 | Hayneedle
Radiax 3000K 60-Degree 3-Watt LED Bronze Wide Flood Light
Lamps Plus
LBL Lighting | Zollo Low Voltage Pendant Light
$280.00 | YLighting
Sunnydaze Solar Pump and Solar Panel Kit, 118 Inch Lift
SerenityHealth
Leaf Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$699.00 | Lumens
Genna Square 3.5 Inch Wall Wash Trim and Housing
Lightology
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais Panel Bed in Noble Bark -...
Great Furniture Deal
Besa Lighting | Divi One Light Low Voltage Pendant Light
$216.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™