Bathroom Bypass doors Silicon Sealant not sealing even after 48hr

pectinApril 25, 2009

after 48 hours. It is for a small bathroom/ toilet Glass/ Metal bypass door... that is put on porcelain tile to the metal frame of the glass door. What should I do... even using a heater to make sure it holds [prevents water from leaking]... it is still leaking. I got the silicon sealant from Home depot. Should I get a better one like immerseal sealant or others? Does it make a difference. It looks like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100645454&N=10000003+90401

I put the silicon part below the metal door on the ground.. The grout and the tile is also ensure that the 'U' shape ... which is the indentation of the grout between the 2 tiles are sealed.. but it is still leaking after my 3rd attempt. What gives.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

It would help if you stated what caulking you used to seal the frame.
You should have used a 100% silicone caulking. No latex, no acrylic.
"The grout and the tile is also ensure that the 'U' shape ... which is the indentation of the grout between the 2 tiles are sealed."
I have no idea what this means.
Ron

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 6:40AM
pectin

Sometimes there is a small space between2 tiles separated by the grout. I used a 100% Sillicon Caulking, No Latex or Acrylic.. any ideas ?

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 9:15AM
mightyanvil

Silicone is very waterproof but it doesn't adhere well to surfaces especially if they are porous or not completely clean and free of contaminants. It also should not be in contact with water too long so, water must drain away from the joint.

Silicone also does not seal well when applied thin to a surface. The joint should be between 1/8" and 1/4 inch wide and of the same depth with a backer rod or something to form a concave shape to the back side or at least prevent it from filling the joint to deeply. The front side should also be concave. This hour-glass shape ensures that the sealant will stretch before the adhesion to the surfaces fails.

But since the sealant failed immediately I would assume the surfaces were not cleaned properly. Old sealant is the worst contaminant and the most difficult to get rid of.

Silicone is used for joints with a lot of movement between dissimilar materials like at exterior aluminum windows. If this joint will not move much you might consider a polyurethane sealant which is less flexible but more resistant to water contact and adheres to surfaces far better. It is preferred over silicone in marine applications.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 9:58AM
pectin

It is actually a new bathroom remodel from scratch. The Sliding doors are actually new and it is bound to the ground on the new tile... the previous old bathroom took out was the same thing. I acutally sealed the surface first before I put the silicon sealant.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 10:20AM
GammyT

Pectin can you post photos of the area that is leaking? You say "The Sliding doors are actually new and it is bound to the ground on the new tile"

Bound to the ground? Is there a shower pan and or a curb?

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 2:01PM
mightyanvil

If you used a chemical to seal the tile that may be the cause of the poor adhesion.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
gridgedad
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Roofing- Metal or Shingles?
I have to have the roofing done on a house if I am...
ladyvixen84
Roof leak - strange behavior
I hope someone can help here... History: our roof...
chanj
Sponsored Products
Stripe Linen Tower
Overstock.com
Shower Curtain Artistic - Owl Argyle Purple
$89.00 | DiaNoche
30 Inch Larch Canapa Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Americh Wright 6030 Tub (60" x 30" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Lowen Double-Bowl Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink
Signature Hardware
Waterfall Shower Panel Tower System with Body Jets
Hudson Reed
Kraus KHU100-30 Single Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink - KHU100-30
$299.95 | Hayneedle
Telescoping Fogless Shower Mirror
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™