Making airline reservation w/ a debit card.

Toni_KYApril 20, 2003

I am planning to fly this Summer and intend to pay for my plane ticket using my Visa debit card, which takes the money right out of my checking account.

I've heard that some car rental companies 'block' a certain amount of money on your card while you have their car, but do airlines do that as well? How do I find out if they will do this? Should I pay another way? I canceled my credit cards so I can't use them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trekaren

When you charge with a visa debit card, you are at a disadvantage two ways. 1) like you said, the money is immediately taken out of your checking account, and 2) you may have limited chargeback rights from the credit card companies.

As long as you have the balance, (1) is not a problem. But you need to call your company or read the regulations for your visa debit card, to see if you have chargeback rights in case there is a need.

Bookmark   April 20, 2003 at 3:10PM
janMD

I can't see where airline tickets would be a problem. On car rentals (hotel rooms can be this way, too) the amount isn't definite till the car is returned (extra charges can be incurred). When purchasing airline tickets, you are agreeing to a certain amount - and that amount is charged immediately.

Bookmark   April 22, 2003 at 11:34AM
trekaren

jan,
The problem that I hear people call into Clark Howard about is alrlines that file for bankruptcy after you've already bought the tickets. Sometimes there is a way to be compensated, but many times there isn't so the chargeback rights are the only right you have. Depends on who they are buying a ticket with, but nowadays, you can't be too careful.

Bookmark   April 22, 2003 at 1:27PM
mom_2_4

Beware -- I once made a reservation in another city for a car rental using my Visa debit card -- only to find out when I arrived at my destination that I could not rent the car using a debit card. Much to my dismay I found that one credit card I carry with me was recently expired and I hadn't activated the new one -- so guess what? I could not rent a car! What a major pain ... I was told that Enterpise is one of the few who will let you rent a car with a debit card.

I make airline reservations all the time with my debit card and have not had a problem. I usually go thru Yahoo Travel.

Bookmark   April 28, 2003 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
What about saving money when renovating?
Does anyone have any tips for that?
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Barcode on the envelope?
I used a envelope which has barcode on it to send a...
kuangmao
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...
A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the...
budster
Sponsored Products
Seville Classics 2-piece Bamboo Tote Set
Overstock.com
Kabiros Iron Pull
Signature Hardware
Aurora Pendant by Fire Farm
$153.00 | Lumens
King Rosary Quilt 110" x 96"
$474.00 | Horchow
Gus Modern | Bloor Sofa
YLiving.com