Finding Structual Wood behind Drywall

jerry_njApril 16, 2011

I thought I had posted on a similar subject about a week ago, but I didn't receive any responses, and I can't find it. So, I hope this is not a duplicate.

I am planning to install a simple crown molding in a bedroom with 8' ceilings. The house is about 25 years old and has current wood framing, I believe.

I believe the (second floor in a two story home in this case) wall has a double 2" by 4" wood plate on top of the wall studs. Taking the real dimensions into account that would mean the top of the wall frame has a 3" wide wood backing where the ceiling joist rest. Given a half inch drywall ceiling that would mean the finished wall would have about 2 1/2" of wood below the finished ceiling. Thus, one could drive a nail into the wall anywhere from the ceiling to about 2" below the ceiling and be sure of hitting structural wood with the nail. Is this correct?

I may not have clicked on the post I think I made and that's why I didn't get any email notice of answers/inputs.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Use a drill with a small bit and drill in the area and direction the nails will go---that will tell you for sure.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 2:13AM
brickeyee

"Use a drill with a small bit and drill in the area and direction the nails will go---that will tell you for sure."

This.

Go exploring with a 1/16 or 1/8 drill bit.

Any holes that might show are easily filled with Spackle.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 9:26AM
jerry_nj

Thanks,

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 12:12PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Your surmise is correct. Exploratory with a finish nail; will be covered by crown anyway. Along the wall that is parallel with the joists, you may have a continuous nailing strip (a 2x4 or a full joist) the whole way, or you may have ladder blocks every 16" or 24". These would give you another nailing opportunity at the ceiling edge of the crown.
Casey

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 12:32PM
brickeyee

"Exploratory with a finish nail..."

Just do not hit the wall.

A small drill bit in a drill has a lot more control.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™