Power Washing

jardinistaApril 10, 2012

Need advice--would like to power wash my roof(shingle) and house(vinyl-sided). Any reason not to? Roof is not leaking or peeling,should last another 5-10 years,but looks faded and streaky. Vinyl-sided house(white) just looks and is dirty. Should I power wash either,both??? Thanks,Jardinista

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower

Power washing roof shingles will a)void the manufacturer's warranty b)strip off the protective mineral layer resulting in much shorter life for the roof. Don't do it.

It shouldn't be necessary to power wash the siding, either. Detergent, a long handled brush and a garden hose are all that's needed.

Power washing can do far more damage than most people realize, especially when done by an unskilled/inexperienced user. Best to avoid altogether.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 5:41AM
ionized_gw

You should not power wash siding "UP". It is not meant to prevent water entry that way, only from water running down the siding. That obviously means that if you have to get above the siding so you are spraying down, it is not really worth the trouble. If there is stuff groaning on the roof, moss or lichen, it requires some attention. Otherwise leave it alone. Wash the siding with a brush and very careful use of the garden hose nozzle.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 2:38PM
jardinista

OK everybody,Thanks mucho for the feedback.Bet I can do it with longhandled brush and hose. Thanks,Jardinista

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™