How do I clean up a oil stain?

rosaearthApril 23, 2009

I am looking for a inexpensive way to get rid of a oil stain in front of my house on the street. Any ideas? Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I've spilled an awful lot of oil on the concrete garage floor over the years and regular kitty litter, the type made out of bentonite clay, works well. Let it soak it up, sweep aside the damp and Grind some fresh dry in by doing the twist on it with old shoes on. Or a block of wood or anything... hard to beat the under foot pressure though.

They sell bags of it in autoparts stores but usually kitty litter is cheaper... Walmart huge bags.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 3:31PM
jonsgirl

I would follow that up with some Lestoil...wish I had stock in that stuff!

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 3:54PM
joyfulguy

I've figured that the bags in the auto supply store are often cheaper per pound than the kitty litter ... but you wouldn't need a large quantity, and would have a lot left over ...

... maybe pack in plastic bags and sell to friends as "Rosaearthy's Kitty Litter"?

You could even pack an instruction sheet, explaining in detail how to use it.

With some extra instruction to the cats, e.g. "Please take care not to scratch too hard ... hard enough to scratch some of the litter out on to the floor".

Heck ... if you could make the instruction sheet fun enough ... you might even develop a small business, with more and more of the neighbours coming to get a pack for their favourite cat.

And when did you last see the neighbours getting a laugh out of reading the instructions from a bag of kitty litter?

Just imagine ...

... when the kitties have another litter ...

... soon they'll need a lot more litter!

ole joyful

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 5:21PM
sheesh

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I can't help myself:

When my brother and I were 2 and 3, we tipped over the gallon can of olive oil in the pantry and amused ourselves until half the can had poured out through the tiny holes our dad had poked in the corners with an icepick...(remember those days?) Olive oil everywhere, slippery as could be. What fun!

The oil seeped through the wooden floor boards through to the ceiling of the apartment below. As long as we lived there (another ten years or so) every time the floor got wet it smelled of old olive oil. The oiled parts of the wood got darker and darker, and no matter how much paint the landlord applied to the ceiling below, the stain remained.

We are 60 and 61 now, Mom is 85. She reminds us of that day every time she thinks of olive oil, and how she didn't know what to do first - laugh, cry, curse herself for her momentary lapse, or clean up the floor or the kids.

I bet the place still stinks.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Barcode on the envelope?
I used a envelope which has barcode on it to send a...
kuangmao
Food preserving
We all know vacuum packing food preserves it without...
Curt D'Onofrio
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
Sponsored Products
Woven Karastan Paisley Stencil Croissant Nylon Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Whimzi� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$255.95 | Bellacor
Jeniece Rug 5'6" x 8' - BLUE/PINK
$2,039.00 | Horchow
The Ultimate Potty Training Reward Chart
$9.99 | zulily
Signature Ivory Blackout Velvet Pole Pocket Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 120
$90.95 | Bellacor
Sunpentown SC-889 10 Cup Stainless Steel Rice Cooker and Steamer - SC-889
$89.99 | Hayneedle
White LED Step Light Vertical Louver