For the un(or under)insured

alisandeApril 9, 2003

During the years I had no health insurance, I learned that facilities vary in how much they charge for medical tests, lab work, and prescriptions. I also learned how to get some of these costs down.

It started when I received a bill for a cardiac ultrasound: $600 at that time. I called the business office and expressed my....um....horror. He said, "Would $300 be better?" It would, and after that I never paid full price for a medical test.

When I got a severe case of salmonella and incurred a $900 emergency room bill, I asked the hospital what sort of discount they offered for prompt payment. The answer was 30 percent. I subsequently learned that all hospitals do this, and some offer an even better discount. I also learned that you can sometimes employ standard bargaining techniques to improve your position. (I knew all those forays to antique shops would pay off someday!)

If I needed lab work, I called our local facilities (hospitals and labs) for prices. I did this with every different test, because the cheapest place for the lipid profile might be the most expensive for the blood glucose.

Same thing with pharmacies. I have my own health insurance now, but it doesn't cover my dog, Angel, who takes a heart pill every day. CVS pharmacy charges $60 to fill this prescription. Rite-Aid is a little more. K-Mart charges $51, but I went to Wal-Mart, where I paid only $32.

Stay healthy!

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

I'm getting tired of looking at this, so I'm releasing it from its top slot. :-)

Bookmark   April 17, 2003 at 10:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monicatx

Thanks for the information. It makes a lot of sense and is worth the effort - you'll save big bucks.

Bookmark   April 18, 2003 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Saving money when using an air condiioner or dehumidifier
This will actually save you money only if you pay for...
joyfulguy
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
Which smartphone for PagePlus?
Looking for help for my first smartphone purchase,...
wonderinginnh
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™