huge disaster

auntneteApril 17, 2009

20 years ago I was a single southern woman who decided I wanted an addition on my home. I did everything by the books. Got a highly recommended contractor. The quote was $20K with 10K up front and 10K at completion, Footers were dug and poured, the wall was knocked out, they got the 10K check and have never been seen again. I had 10K to fix this mess. I had a huge hole in the floor and huge hole in the wall. I later found out that it was all for show to make it look like they were doing something, that you would never knock out walls until you at least have the addition framed it. I was a stupid woman THEN but no more. The solution to the hole in the wall with the money I had left was to put a bay window in that spot. The dimensions were very close and it worked. It just looked really stupid. I want to take it out and put a wall there with bar and possibly wall shelving. My DH says I will hate it because I am so used to all the light streaming in and that will stop it all. It is an open floor plan so light does come in through the dining room and living room. There would be no windows in the kitchen. Any opinions out there? I have never been able wrap my brain around this window and it always kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
braytonak

Wow, so sorry to hear about the original disaster. One of the worst fears of a homeowner.

Your husband may be right. You may be so used to the extra light that losing it will be a shock. Have you tried covering the window completely to get an idea of just the light difference?

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 3:09AM
drywall_diy_guy

Once you get used to that light, you will regret covering it. In the house I grew up in, my Dad sealed up a window in my old bedroom. It has been15 years now and I still can not get used to it whenever we visit. Natural sunlight is something you can't replace with anything from a home store.

Just my opinion.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 8:20AM
turnage

I think Braytonak had a good idea about covering the window. Use the kitchen for a couple of days and see how you like it. My opinion, if one room in a house needs to be well lighted, it's the kitchen.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 8:31AM
auntnete

That is a great idea Braytonak! I will cover it completely for a few days and then cover it halfway for a few days. My husbands thinks we should wall it in half way and have windows on the upper portion. I will let you know how it works out. Thank you so much for the great idea.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
mattb32
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™