Do You Throw Out the Sliver?

colleenozApril 6, 2003

In another thread one poster commented that the last sliver of the soap gets thrown out as it is too tiny to use effectively.

When I was a girl, a Dutch lady who had lived through the Second World War told me how soap was so hard to obtain and precious at that time, that they would wet the sliver and "paste" it to the new bar and let it dry. That way the sliver would be used up. I thought that was a great idea and have done it ever since (looking back, that's over 35 years, sigh).

I never throw out the sliver, nor do I mess around with saving them up and remelting and moulding them or whatever.

What do you do with YOUR sliver?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy_

Nothing - I use liquid soap because it does not have soapy build up in the tub like the bars do. Kathy_PA

Bookmark   April 6, 2003 at 8:06AM
weed30

I do the pasting thing too.

Bookmark   April 6, 2003 at 10:50AM
heather_on

I crochet a little mess bag that I use to put the slivers in. Then this bag can also be used as a bath scrubber.

Bookmark   April 6, 2003 at 1:42PM
Sunny3

I also paste the tiny sliver on to the new bar. by the way -- I also heard that if you unwrap the new bar of soap and let it 'dry out' for a week or two, it will last longer than if it was fresh out of the wrapper.

Bookmark   April 6, 2003 at 8:54PM
colleenoz

If you unwrap your soap and leave it in your "smalls" (undies) drawer to dry out, not only does it last longer but it does double duty making your frillies smell nice :-)

Bookmark   April 7, 2003 at 6:59AM
Momma_Bird_OH

I unwrap all the bars of soap as soon as I buy a multi pack and put them in a basket on the bathroom shelf. I then paste the sliver onto the new dried out bar.

Bookmark   April 7, 2003 at 9:38PM
joyfulguy

I'm a "paster onto the new bar" also.

Frugal, I guess.

I've heard some say here that they drop it into the pump bottle, with a bit of water, that it melts.

Good wishes for keeping yourselves smelling nice.

jes joyful

Bookmark   April 9, 2003 at 2:02AM
alisande

I read this thread as "Do you throw out the silver?"

I couldn't figure out why a frugal person would even think of doing that.....LOL!

Susan

Bookmark   April 10, 2003 at 9:29PM
joann23456

I used to paste, but now I'm with Kathy - use liquid soap, and you'll never scrub soap scrum again!

Bookmark   April 11, 2003 at 12:16AM
weed30

Wish I could use liquid soap, but DH simply hates it. Not worth making an issue about it. We wipe the shower down after every use, so soap scum isn't a big problem.

Bookmark   April 11, 2003 at 10:30AM
mid_tn_mama

I put the slivers in the pump soap dispensers and add a little water. They dissolve on their own and add to whatever (read cheapest thing:liquid soap,shampoo, bubble bath)is in the soap dispenser at the moment.

Bookmark   April 22, 2003 at 9:57AM
des_arc_ya_ya

LOL I read it as "silver", too. Then I thought, "Well, they're talking about plastic tableware and whether they throw it out or not. Had this long conversation going on with myself and then realized the topic was soap!

Bookmark   April 22, 2003 at 10:18PM
BigMama

I never did that at all until the DH and I married and he is a paster so all the slivers get pasted in our home...

Bookmark   April 24, 2003 at 6:01PM
Toni_KY

Guess I need new glasses too. I read "silver" instead of "sliver"!

I'm a 'paster' too.

Bookmark   April 27, 2003 at 4:28PM
budster

Oh yes, I wondered why anyone would throw out silver.....I use the bits in the kitchen, keep them for quick little hand washings....DH is a paster....they get used up somehow. MIL has been known to grate the last bits and throw them in with the laundry detergent.

Bookmark   April 27, 2003 at 6:44PM
intherain

Guess we all need glasses! (Or stronger prescriptions) I, too, kept seeing this as SILVER and didn't bothering reading the thread. Tonight I decided to see who WOULD throw out their silver and that is when I realized I had misread the word!

I guess I am not very frugal when it comes to soap because I haven't done anyting with that sliver. Now I'll think about it!

Bookmark   April 28, 2003 at 2:30AM
joyfulguy

I was going to say, "Thinking never hurts" - but it seems to me that often disciplined thinking does hurt.

I guess that my real meaning is, "Thinking is almost always a good idea".

Thinking should come before spending.

Have a great week, all.

joyful guy

Bookmark   April 28, 2003 at 5:40AM
More Discussions
hail damage
is it necessary to have hail damage insurance in MN...
stoveguyy
Saving money when using an air condiioner or dehumidifier
This will actually save you money only if you pay for...
joyfulguy
Food preserving
We all know vacuum packing food preserves it without...
Curt D'Onofrio
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
are your sheets coming off?
MY SHEETS WERE ALWAYS COMING OFF OF THE BED. ON A SHOPPING...
wjswecampbell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™