Moving Fence

stats99April 22, 2009

I need to move a recently installed chain link vinyl fence about 8 inches. There are about 10 fence posts representing about 100 feet of 4 foot high fencing attached. How can this be done? Can they dig up the current posts (cemented) or will they have to saw off and replace the posts? What is cheapest? Having difficulty getting someone to look and give an estimate, original contractor has blown it off.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

i take it you installed it over the line?

they will have to take down teh existing chain link, remove teh top rail, dig up each post, dig a bigger hole at the new location, set the existing posts(concrete and all) in teh holes, that add fresh concrete to fill teh larger holes. reinstall teh top rail, put the CL back up, stretch it and tie it down. not a hard job, but time consuming.

it will go quicker is you buy new posts, sink them, then move the existing CL and toprail to it.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 4:03PM
casey_wa

I agree with davidandkasie. It is possible to break the concrete off the metal posts and resink them in new concrete especially if the concrete is not fully cured. I did this when removing some old fencing and the concrete was fully cured...actually broke away from the posts easier than I expected.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 4:16PM
gammyt

stats99, assuming you had the posts put over the lot line. You need to remove them, concrete and all, and repair your neighbors yard. The neighbor might decide to plant something next to your new fence and shouldn't have to dig up the cement you put there in error.

If the fence is on your side of the lot line, you can cut the poles off then one by one, when you get energy dig them out if you want to plant something there.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
music9704
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™