soft-close mechanism for house doors?

sevrelApril 23, 2009

This isn't exactly a repair question but this still seemed like the most suitable forum in which to ask it. I'm wondering if any kind of mechanism exists similar to that which is used to give kitchen cabinets a soft-close, but for house doors? I'd especially like to find something that can easily be attached without any drilling, if such a thing exists. We have a door right below an upstairs bedroom leading to the backyard which is frequently slamming shut. If anybody could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can get door closers like the type in public buildings only smaller for doors. There is one which I installed on the back door since kids never seem to close them. It fits onto one of the hinges. They are at any hardware store for 15 bucks. They work pretty good.

    Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 10:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you happen to recall brand/item name information for what one you bought?

I was going to place an order for a few things through an online store but am not sure how to locate this in the catalog.


    Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 4:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't have that packaging anymore but it would be referred to as a pneumatic door closer. I'm sure if you google "pneumatic door closer" you'll have hundreds to choose from.

    Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 5:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

There's simple silicone patches that you can stick to the door post. You can get them from most do it yourself stores, costs about nothing.

    Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 3:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was at Home Depot this evening and saw some door closers you would probably use. They were small and easy to install. The cost range was $8.00-$12.00

    Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 8:47PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™