Ranch Style Home Needs New Flooring (slab)

Nick85November 3, 2013

Purchased a home back in 2007. It was built in the 70's. The living & dining rooms connect forming an "L". Recently the flooring (laminate) is starting to buckle. Looks like the previous owner did not put down a moisture barrier between the concrete subfloor and the laminate. The living room was previously sunken and raised with 2 by 4(s) and plywood to match the level of the dining room. This floor is starting to sink and the plywood has dry rot. What is the best way to remedy this disaster. Put down a moisture barrier or have the concrete sealed....or both. Really need some sound advice on this one. (Levitt Home - Bowie MD)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You've got moisture issues. Beyond just a moisture barrier on the slab. You need to find out why you're having such moisture issues. Like the soil grading changed and is no longer directing water away from the house, or a gutter or downspout is clogged. Or isn't directed away from the house.

You've got to figure all of that out before even thinking about flooring. That's going to involve some in person investigating from you and from someone experienced in dealing with those issues. You might consider hiring a structural engineer to figure out where the problems are coming from, and to what extent they've affected the integrity of the home. That will let you create a plan and figure out what needs to be done by professionals.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 11:35AM
jcalhoun

Maybe a small seaping leak in the plumbing somewhere. Not all that unusual for a pipe to be leaking in/under a slab.

Otherwise possibly rain leakage. Check roof/attic if possible.

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 6:36AM
MissyK

Nick, are you still here? Which model, the Shenendoah (3 BR) or the Tred Avon (4 BR, detached garage)?

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Renovation costs per square foot, Miami, Fl.
Can anyone give me an idea about renovating a 1972...
Gayle Atlas
Cutting a notch into rafters to push LVLs into the ceiling?
We have a load-bearing wall we'd like to remove. We...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™