house settleing

ladyleo1954April 21, 2013

We moved into this house 3 years ago. It is 15 years old and we noticed in the past 2 years nails popping out along the ceiling by the front door, the kitchen counters have come away from the walls about 1/4 inch by the side door, ceiling cracks are starting to appear around the stairs which are in the middle of the house and the bathroom door is off by quite a bit. I know the house will settle but do I need to be concerned. The popping nails really upset me as the ceiling is textured and vaulted and is open floor plan for the kitchen and living room. Is this a serious problem or just normal house settleing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

As much settling as you are talking about, I'd be concerned. I'd schedule a visit from a structural engineer. It could be the best $300 you ever spent if it relieves your mind, OR if it uncovers hidden structural deficiencies that need to be corrected.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 4:48PM
southerncanuck

Yes I would be very concerned. As Hollysprings suggests, get a good structural engineer in to take a good look. It may be a very simple solution.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:40AM
randy427

When a 15 y.o. house starts to warp at that rate, unless there have been poorly designed structural modifications done, I suspect an earth movement issue.
Are there cracks in the foundation or basement walls?
Do you live where sinkholes are known to occur?

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™