ProCell Deck = Looks Terrible After Only 2 Years

gabeansterApril 11, 2010

We spent a lot of time researching decking materials before we made a decision. We ended up going with Procell deck boards.

Its now less than two years since the work was done and the deck looks terrible. I've tried several Procell compatible cleaners including CorteClean (huge waste of money).

The deck looks "dry" and faded, except for a few spots which appear to have an oil stain. I have no idea how that got there. We dont even have kids!!!

Each year, we keep our rail system looking decent by treating it with Armor All. Today, while cleaning the rail, I got a spot of Armor All on the deck and it actually made the deck look kind of nice.

Has any one found something that will make the Pro Cell look new again? Anyone tried Armor All on their deck?

Seems crazy, but I doubt I could make it look any worse than it is. I'd never buy Pro Cell again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovesummer1

Look around in the porch and deck forum here on gardenweb, and on the this old house forum. There are a number of people who are unhappy with Procell (now called Azek since it was bought out by them). We had it installed about 3 years ago and so far are reasonably happy with it, though ours is looking more grimy than it should. This weekend I washed it with Spic and Span and ammonia and it got better, though still not as good as I would have expected. Next time I'll try Simple Green with a splash of bleach. I don't have the fading problems, it just looks like ground-in dirt. Evidently there was a bad batch for a while, and it's possible you got some of that. I don't *think* I did, but I'm not positive.

As far as your stains, I've read on some of the other forums that suntan lotion and bug spray will stain Procell/Azek. My only really bad stain--which did get better with my scrubbing this weekend, but it's still there--was from spilled citronella candle wax.

Thanks for the tip about Corte Clean not working well.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 10:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovesummer1

Here's yet another informative thread:

http://www.deckmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2200

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
tim45z10
advice plzzz on how to keep neighbors plants growing under fence
I rent. I get a big discount doing the gardening so...
cottagecindy
Cellulose Insulation - Do we really need the blower?
We have 8 to 10 packages of cellulose insulation that...
kendog2
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Sponsored Products
Chelsea Home Furniture Tyrell Accent Chair - Millcreek - 159920-C-MC
$959.99 | Hayneedle
Runner Rug: Richmond Silver 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Cavo Brushed Steel One-Light Mini-Pendant with Flat Canopy and Gold Glass
$187.50 | Bellacor
Acai Narrow Zig Zag Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Off-White Linen Drum Hardback Shade 3x4x4.5 (Clip-On)
$39.91 | Lamps Plus
Black & Red Skurniture Deck Bench
$49.99 | zulily
Oceanside Oushak Rug 4' x 6'
$1,299.00 | Horchow
Tec Brass Chrome Plate Body Spray Jet Shower Luxury Modern Design
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™