Where backer and drywall meet...

refinishedNovember 8, 2006

I am about to begin a partial DIY bathroom remodel and have a question about how 3/8 drywall and hardibacker come together in harmony.

Consider tiled walls above a tub in a bathroom with painted walls. The tile comes up high enough to make the area functional as a shower with a curtain on a rod. How do the drywall, backer under the tile, and tile meet? Isn't most backer thinner than 3/8s? Does the rounded-over edge tile lay on the drywall by a very small amount? Can someone help me understand how that comes together, pls?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fqp25

Where Drywall and backer board come together: In most cases it's just a taped joint. If the backerboard isn't flush with the drywall, you can sometimes use felt strips on the studs to fur the backerboard out.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 10:33AM
bill_vincent

There are two thicknesses of CBU that are normally available-- 1/4" and 1/2". The 1/2" is what should be used for wall tile, and the sheetrock should also be 1/2". The two should meet under where the last tile will fall, and it should then be no problem whatsoever to transition the two.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 6:28PM
toronto_doug

What Bill describes is how I did mine, and both the drywall and backerboard (USG Dens-Shield in my case) were 1/2". I made the joint fall about 1 1/2" below the top of the tile, taped the joints with mesh tape, and covered the joint with thinset in the same manner one would use drywall compund on a drywall joint. I also did the same for backerboard-to-backerboard joints, and let the joints dry before doiing the actual tiling. One tip: don't let any thinset get on drywall that will remain exposed - it will be hard to sand/finish.

Another option - here (Canada) I've seen a fiber-based backerboard (Fiberock) also from USG that can be finished like drywall. Using this you could eliminate the joint. I believe the product documentation indicates you can use this in wet areas (i.e. showers) but of course you would need to confirm this.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 12:10PM
bill_vincent

Yes, it can be used in wet areas. It's basically hardi board made by another manufacturer.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam
We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate....
ylmzm
Cost to build cabinets/shelving
I have two unrelated cabinetry projects I'd like to...
noreastern
Designer vs contractor
Hi all, New to the forum here. Purchsed a 1960's bungalow...
houseofmagnolia
I want to use LVT for the wall...
I want to use LVT to replace the worn wallpaper for...
sandra2288
Help with exterior remodel!
Help! I want to remodel the exterior of my house. ...
Jeff Holmes
Sponsored Products
High Capacity Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater
Overstock.com
Sonneman Perch Satin Nickel Desk Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Zaneen | Glim Ceiling Light
$526.40 | YLighting
The Butler by micklish
$120.00 | Lumens
FontanaArte | Teso Table
YLiving.com