making wall niches or recessed built-in shelving

fern4November 1, 2008

I'm trying to figure out how to frame and build both a small niche that will be used for a phone and a larger recessed area that could hold shelves (e.g., 4-5 feet long).

It seems the options for the larger built-in shelving include framing the wall to put in a ready-made unit or framing and finishing it in drywall and then adding shelves somehow. At a minimum I want to frame this so that I can cut the wall open later and install the shelving.

For the smaller niche, it seems that the bottom part needs to be wood or some other hard surface but I don't have a mental picture of how this gets put together.

Any pictures of in-progress or completed niches or recesses would be appreciated, or other advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

How deep do these recesses need to be for your purposes? Most stud walls can only accommodate a recess that's about 4" deep unless you have unneeded space on the other side of the wall - a closet, for example.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 4:45AM
joed

They would be framed the same way you frame a window with a header and proper supporting studs.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 9:03AM
fern4

In both cases I have more room than the studs. In one case, it might be as deep as 12-14 inches which is why I am confused.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Any reviews of J & K Cabinetry?
We are redoing our kitchen and I came across this type...
Jill_homemaker
Removing brick and install what?
Just for the sake of discussion...if one was to remove...
mlo1
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
Help! Ceilings are dipping!
I don't know if this is just an unusual series of events...
andrelaplume2
Structural Engineer - What do I need to Know?
I'm planning a kitchen gut/remodel in my three-story,...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™