Green roofing material -Armorlite roofing?

nicky_2006April 4, 2008

Looking to replace our asphalt roof with a greener material.

So,have read about metal roofs,but found a product on the HGTV Pro website...Armorliteroofing.com. Seems it's a GE developed polymer material. Seems to be rather new, and installed mainly in California now. Anyone out there have this material or know of anyone who's used it? Ok, a polymer doesn't seem so green to me. Thanks for any info on this material.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Clay roofing tiles is as green as you can get without using thatch.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 7:02PM
nicky_2006

Have seen thatch overseas,it's neat. Guess roofing products aren't as advanced as I'd like them to be. Did post same question over in another forum, added to it because we have copper gutters. Thinking of metal roofing, but because of galvanic corrosion (thanks,mike13) that probably won't work. Still searching for a better product,green as I can get it.

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 11:07AM
bornaroofer

If your roofs flat a membrane roof thats white or has a reflective coating meets energy star req.
For a sloped roof metal would be good choice it has a long life cycle and is recyclable.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 7:57PM
ecohomeowner

we just used an armorlite roof on our remodel and we LOVE IT!!! it was the perfect fit for what we were doing, and probably the most eco friendly roof out there. it is made with recycled material and fully recyclable. the best thing so far besides being able to walk on it to clean our upstairs windows is that our energy bills for the last three months is almost half of what it was last year, and the attic(game room) is much much cooler. HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Metal fence panels - steel or aluminum? Best brands?
I want to put up a fence to divide my side yard from...
ktmast
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™