Have questions about nailing window casing

suel41452April 25, 2014

I have a bathroom window that I'm adding a mitered casing to frame it. Casing is 2 1/4" wide x 11/16" thick painted pine. Have the pieces sawed out, have a nail set, 4d nails, & plan to make pilot holes.
Wondering if some kind soul could tell me where to nail in the finishing nails on the casing & how far apart? I've googled and no one goes into those details (except to stay 1 inch away from the miter).
I looked at casing I have, and the nails - as best I can tell by tiny dents - seem about 9" apart.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

sue141452:

Your nails must hit the framing underneath the drywall; where you place them is less important.

I usually go into the first groove in the molding to obscure the nail heads even more. I'd hot-melt my miters together first because if the jamb and drywall aren't in perfect plane, and they usually aren't, it will make uneven miters. Don't overnail and don't be afraid to shim and caulk. Less is more here, it's just trim.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 16:24

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 4:22PM
millworkman

Use 6d galvanised or stainless finish nails for the bathroom in my opinion as by the time a 4d goes thru the trim and drywall there is not much to hold in the wood.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 12:15PM
suel41452

Thanks, I have some, I'll do that.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 1:58PM
suel41452

Trebruchet, just noticed my response to you didn't get posted. I'll do what you said to the miters, sounds like a great idea, thanks!!

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 12:09AM
pnbrown

You want the 4d into the jamb, 6 or 8 into the drywall. For mitered trim it helps a lot if the drywall is slightly proud of the jamb, that tends to tighten the miters; if it is the opposite the miter will open when you nail into the drywall and framing behind. If the jamb is proud first nail all around in to the jamb with your 4d nails, after your miters fit well, then shim firmly against the drywall behind the miters before nailing the outside.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Roofing- Metal or Shingles?
I have to have the roofing done on a house if I am...
ladyvixen84
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Where to purchase Spanish roof tiles? I just need 2 pieces.
One handyman came to my house to evaluate the price...
janesylvia
Fixing a small drywall mark?
I accidentally tapped the corner of my iPad against...
Raident
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™