rust on dishwasher rack prong?

leslie2004April 11, 2006

Is there something I should do to stop it from getting worse? I just noticed a couple of prongs in a Kenmore DW rack (about 5 years old) have small spots where the rubber coating has worn off and there is rust on the metal underneath.

Is there some kind of paint or epoxy coating I can touch them up with?

Should I buy a replacement rack?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Clean the rust off as best you can with fine sand paper and then steel wool. Use a rust neutralizer. You can purchase a small container of the rubber coating for touch up from a hardware store or big box store.

It's important to get the rust off and neutralized otherwise, it will continue rusting underneath the rubber coating.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Many stores sell plasticised replacement tips to slide over worn prongs. You might check Home Depot, Bed, Bath & Beyond .. etc.

    Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 9:21AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
Fixing Spanish Plaster and plaster interior walls (1933 house)
We live in a 1933 Lannon stone home (Lannon stone is...
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™