Please review my kitchen

new_gardener_txApril 13, 2013

So, we have gotten ourselves into an extreme fixer-upper. It barely has a functioning kitchen at this point. Here are rough drawings of the current floorplan of the two rooms we have to work with for the kitchen area using floorplanner.com. I don't have any elevation images, just bird's eye. I'm not looking for fine detail adjustments, just ideas on overall positioning of everything and floorplan itself.

Our house is considered historic, so we cannot move windows on it, but can make any internal changes we'd like. We are completely open to moving any interior walls load-bearing or not. Note though that on the left, we have a large brick fireplace which cannot be moved. We'd like to have a relatively open space, but are limited by the 19th century rowhouse-like design and the location of the fireplace (which has an independent foundation).

We are currently working on designs which keep the wet wall where it is, but if it makes sense to move the plumbing for a good design, it could be considered.

My main problems are that the walls are very broken up by doorways and near floor-to-ceiling windows, making it hard to create large continuous countertop surfaces. I'm struggling on where to even put a range or stove... I'd prefer to avoid putting it on an island, but I don't know what else to do. I am imagining the dishwasher immediately to the left of the sink.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
new_gardener_tx

Here's my current design idea.

There's a see-through wall opening extending between the two rooms with a continuous countertop.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 10:58PM
new_gardener_tx

To put everything in perspective, here's the entire first floor plan as it currently is. We're also trying to think of how to fit a half bath on the first floor somewhere... tough stuff!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:04PM
herbflavor

what do you what in regards to seating/table capability of various sorts? something could be done if you removed pantry and perhaps repositioned back door from kitchen to the right side exterior wall of pantry[pantry wasn't always there-note window in pantry].Make wide open passages on left and right of fireplace and along the left or top you would contain thru traffic with basement and exterior in/out traffic, if you could reposition that back door. Then perhaps the old kitchen could be devoted to a table setup and in the old dining room a larger island or dbl island kitchen...find out what you can do with the wet wall as far as re-position of plumbing or cutting back the wall significantly.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 8:54AM
valinsv

Without pictures/elevations, I would seriously consider swapping the kitchen with dining room and removing the wet wall entirely or creating a spacious large entrance between the two rooms. If you keep about 2' to either side then cabinets can die into those corners. The windows you describe sound lovely and would work better with a dining room where you do not need wall space and opening up that wall will allow that light to flow into the new kitchen area as well. If you take down the pantry as well it will allow for a longer wall for cabinetry.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
reasonable time before receipt of general contractor's estimate ?
What is a reasonable time to wait before a contractor's...
jeannette10
New Vicostone/Pental Quartz Calacatta Borghini?
Has anyone seen the new Vicostone/Pental quartz Calacatta...
nadianyc
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™