Framed Art

frank1203July 13, 2012

Hi - I'm looking for a few good websites/stores to buy some framed artwork for my living room decor. What makes this tricky is that I am looking for small pictures in landscape format (as opposed to portrait); like maybe about 10-12 inches in width and about 8-10 inches in height. I have looked extensively but cannot seem to find the smaller type sizes. I am looking for pictures for a traditional decor so I don't want anything abstract. Any help would be appreciated as always. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Lots of options for artwork, especially small art.

You can go to stores like kirklands, home goods that carry art.
You can order from on line sites like overstock.com or art.com.

You can head to a book store or a used book store and look for books full of prints that can be cut apart and made into art work. Whats nice with that is they tend to be of similar theme and/or colors so they can make nice groupings.

You can look for calendars that often have lovely pictures of the same size as well....I have several that I have saved over the years with that idea in mind.

Or you can look to your own photography. I had a large wall space to fill and didn't want to break the bank on it, so I took a bunch of my own photos, went to fed ex/kinkos enlarged and printed them off in black and white, then framed them in walmart frames...final cost was $15 each. The mats were ivory and I wanted white so I painted them with acrylic paint.

Another alternative is wall paper or fabric. In the dining room, I wanted to fill a blank wall without taking up floor space, so I framed up an historic William Morris wallpaper.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 8:08AM
Sueb20

Love that dining room wall, Annie.

All good ideas above, and you can also search online resources like art.com by size and orientation (portrait vs landscape).

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 8:26AM
Boopadaboo

Etsy and Ebay too.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:17AM
mclarke

You wrote: "like maybe about 10-12 inches in width and about 8-10 inches in height."

Do these dimensions include the framing?

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:21AM
mclarke

You wrote: "like maybe about 10-12 inches in width and about 8-10 inches in height."

Do these dimensions include the framing?

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:22AM
frank1203

Yes, the dimensions include the framing. I can be a little flexible by a few inches give or take

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 10:58AM
mclarke

Check out BareWalls.com. They have an advanced search function that will let you specify "landscape" (put the word "landscape" in the keyword option) plus your desired size. I tried your size specs and got 117 hits, so maybe you can find something you like:

http://www.barewalls.com/advanced.html

Also -- will you be doing your own framing? If you can buy standard size, pre-assembled frames, you can save a LOT of money. Familiarize yourself with standard size frames, and then go print shopping.

Here is a site that will give you standard sizes for frames, with mat sizes (if you want a mat):

Here is a link that might be useful: Standard sizes for picture frames

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 12:31PM
frank1203

Thanks mclarke. First you found my Corbel.. Now this. You are good. I'll start looking at the site you provided. Thanks.. Frank

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 6:10PM
mclarke

You're welcome, Frank! Hope you find what you need! -- Maureen

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Unique Craftsman trim & wainscotting Examples, Info, Opinions
I am looking for examples of unique craftsman and/or...
Corbin Dodge
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jenniferdavis1221
I find myself in this situation more often than not!
I''m a sucker for everything she found! Kitchen design,...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
New Rocking Chair placement
I just bought this new Risom rocker as a floor sample....
rockybird
Am I looking for a soft buttery yellow or a soft buttery white?
I've the itch to paint my living area a soft yellow...something...
happyintexas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™