Choosing Countertop Fabricator

happsApril 30, 2013

I spent a few days researching quartz countertop fabricators and finally narrowed the choice down to two, until the interior design company I am ordering kitchen cabinets from mentioned they also sell countertops. Their fabricator is undisclosed and their bid was very close in price to the fabricator that comes highly recommended. Would there be any advantage to dealing with the interior design company vs buying from a fabricator directly? I was surprised the bid was so price competitive considering there is an extra layer and the interior design company also needs to make a profit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellytoast

Getting a third bid would give you a better picture regarding pricing. Have you seen the work of either fabricator? There have been enough "bad seam" posts on this forum recently to make me think twice about hiring an unknown.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:01PM
happs

I got seven bids from fabricators and countertop companies and narrowed it down to two before the interior design company mentioned they also sell countertops. I haven't seen any of these companies finished product.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:28PM
MikeJrNY

Undisclosed fabricator is a red flag to me. I'd use the comparable bid for the company that comes highly recommended. I don't see any upside going with the interior design company for your countertop

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 1:45AM
SmartDesignerGirl

"I haven't seen any of these companies finished product."

That is the most important deciding factor in selecting a company. How can you trust someone to come into your home and provide a good service and quality of job without looking at the finished product or getting referrals?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:24AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Interviewing doesn't mean jack without seeing their finished work. There's a lot of very skilled Larry Liars out there that interview very well but do their work with a garden hose in a shed somewhere and have no insurance if they drop it on your floor and smash it.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Thoughts on tile with this granite? Aquario
I saw that one or two people on here have the granite...
kelleg69
xenon light bars for under-cabinet
based on what I saw in the lighting showroom my electrician...
lmgch
WAC vs. Seagull vs. Kichler or what else - "best" LED UCL
can someone please help/advise i feel like a fish out...
lmgch
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
KitchenCraft - will they last a lifetime?
Fell in love with a specific painted door when cruising...
lookintomyeyes83
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™