Exterior Brick with green moss

gaila53April 1, 2013

Green moss on outside brick underneath bedroom window. Owner said he would have someone come and waterproof bricks with sealant. Problem is I did not see them remove the moss first and it appears he is putting sealant over the moss. Will this be effective? Thanks for any advice as I have developed some respiratory problems when in the room.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

Covering the moss is a waste of time and effort. It is easily removed with a water and ammonia solution. No need to seal the brick, if the moss wants to grow, usually in a wet and dark environment it will grow back on the sealed brick. As for your respiratory issues please consult a physician, you won't get any medical answers on a home forum on the internet, and if you do I wouldn't take it.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 5:17PM
gaila53

Thank you for the info.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 9:19PM
southerncanuck

You are most welcome, I hope things work out for you and you get your respiratory problem in check.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 2:03AM
ionized_gw

Are you sure that this is moss? Moss needs light to grow. Any green plant needs light to grow. They also need water to grow. Is water pooling on the brick? The real solution needs to be proper drainage first and then, maybe, sealing.

You respiratory problems are probably not caused by anything growing on the outside of the window, but may be related to it. If the windows are not draining properly on the outside, you may be getting water in the walls. That will cause mold to grow which is a more likely cause for indoor air quality issues.

Please, inspect your windows carefully to see that water is draining properly. I think that 10% bleach (from 6% hypochlorite stock) will work better to kill moss than ammonia will.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™