Laminate counter damage

bizeeApril 4, 2010

This morning I noticed this damage to my counter. Looks like a cup was there, but at the bottom of the photo, there is another bubble as well. You can see a hole in the larger damaged area.

Is there anyway to fix this without repairing the whole counter? I'm pretty much devastated to find this damage this morning. It would not have been a coffee cup, the only thing that would have been there is a large mug of water. This is next to the sink, not stove.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

It's hard to tell exactly what the damage is from your photo, but is it possible someone set a pot or a tea kettle on this area while it was still hot? I can't think of anything that could have caused that except something from the top side. Is the laminate both bubbled and discolored?

While it is possible in some cases to reactivate laminate glue with heat from the top side, and flatten out laminate that is slightly raised, I suspect this is not going to work for you and you could do more damage if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is not fixable. I once had a damaged laminate countertop, and our solution was to place a wooden cutting board over the damage to hide it....

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 1:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

The laminate is discolored due to very high temps.
It is not a reversible situation.
Ron

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™