Anyone happy with their AB granite?

kathleencamApril 15, 2013

We did a budget remodel of our 1960's kitchen and used Ikea off-white cabinets and AB granite. I like the simplicity of the black and white, but I have read some negative opinions about AB. Anyone have positive experiences with this granite?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mom2sethc

Hello!

ME!!! I Love my AB! and mine is the dreaded polished AB! I have no problems keeping it clean and looking nice. I simply wipe it down with a wet rag. If I am having company, I'll follow the wet rag with a microfiber cloth. It is easy enough to do, and looks great whether I use the microfiber or not. I do have an integrated drainboard near my sink and I have a strainer that sits there. In order to clean the water spots, I take a cotton ball dipped in white vinegar, the water spots instantly gone. I almost didn't get the polished AB because of the comments that I have read, however the designer at my granite place told me that she has it and loves it, so I took the chance and love it!

Elaine

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:46AM
kathleencam

Thank you! You made my day. I have honed and it really isn't hard to keep clean.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:49AM
finestra

I had AB polished for 5 years, and I loved it, but mine showed spots - fingerprints, dust. We had a lot of light both natural and overhead.

I used to take dish cloths and put them under the insta-hot, wring them out and wipe. We have really hard water, so if I didn't wring it out totally, then you could see the wiping motions when the water dried. It was beautiful and easy to maintain. I used to take a straight edge razor and scrape the hard water spots off from around the sink. Like I said our water is really hard. Don't cut on it though as ours had one scratch from someone cutting on it.

Mine was really dark. IMO wiping a counter is not too much maintenance.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 9:23AM
kfhl

I have honed AB in my new kitchen and I love it. It does show drips and smudges, but I just wipe everything down when I am done cooking/cleaning with the typical water and rubbing alcohol solution. It is something I would do anyway so it doesn't bother me. I do not think that it would work well for a kitchen that doesn't get much use as it would show dust and the drips and smudges from getting a drink etc.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:26PM
islanddevil

What's AB?

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:14PM
francoise47

AB = Absolute Black granite.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 3:23PM
islanddevil

Thanks francioise. The only thing I could think of was antico bianco, but I had that name reversed.
Absolute black is beautiful.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:35PM
cat_mom

We have a honed and enhanced AB saddle in our MB (the fabricator sealed/enhanced it with Tenax Tiger Ager?). It's been in for three years and still looks perfect. I wipe it with a wet microfiber when I clean the bathrooms, or damp mop it.

FWIW, to remove hard water deposits/stains on our polished Labrador Golden Flake granite (soft black, with a lot of mica), I "buff" it with 000 or 0000 steel wool. Depends on which I have handy.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Cooktop in Island - love it or hate it?
I am leaning towards our cooktop in the island. Some...
muskoka_mum
Help! Removing stains on granite
I am hoping that somebody here can help with this because...
kellienoelle
How big of a range do you need for 13+ feet of wall?
We are narrowing down our kitchen design bit by bit,...
veroni2413
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Sponsored Products
30" x 22" Pure Black Granite Stone Apron Kitchen Sink - LAGOS SHADOW
Living'ROC
Bel Air Johnson Lake Outdoor Post Lantern - 23H in. - 4443 AG
$169.10 | Hayneedle
Accent Rug: The Simpsons Loving Family Multi Colored 19" x 29"
$11.97 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Smiley Smiles and Laughs Multi Colored 39" x 58"
$49.97 | Home Depot
New Oriental Runner Balouch Hand Knotted Wool Pots & Helicopter Design Rug P224
BH Sun Inc