Ugly House Curb Appeal Advice

mystianNovember 14, 2012

Thinking of buying a house in neighborhood where all the houses have this ugly barn/hut look. Would anything make them look better? They have ocean views and the insides are nicely renovated, but the architechture (?) if any leaves something to be desired.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakabedy

It seems like it's screaming out for a dormer (or dormerS) of some kind, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put them in originally if only to give it more curb appeal and bring more light to the upstairs rooms (assuming there are upstairs rooms). Is there a building code of some kind that limits the glass surface, or puncturing the roof or something?

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:33PM
Dynamicdoors

New garage doors and entrance doors help with curb appeal

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamic Door Services Phoenix

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:07PM
hoganh

I think your house has a ton of potential! I would seriously consider changing the location of the front door to a position of prominence. See the sketch I tried to do - sorry I'm not an artist or an architect. What I tried to show is a front door with a triangle roof over it and transom sidelights. To the left I put back a window - two double hungs together. Personally, I like the traditional look of munton bars and added these to the new window and the window at the far right. A stone path would look nice leading from the driveway up the new stately front door. I would also take back some of the oversized driveway that is encroaching on the front lawn and return it to grass. If you can get rid of the wood that is encasing the grass - also good - just let it slope down naturally. And finally, add some bushes, flowers etc. to the front of the house - left and right of the new front door. Just some ideas...!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:34PM
DaveRehab101

How can I get some advice on ideas to create curb appeal for this ugliest house in the neighborhood?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:31AM
jakabedy

Hi DaveRehab -

You may want to post this as a new post, you'll get more responses that way. Is this house meant for you to live in? Or is it meant to be sold, or rented?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Replacing shower recessed light with vent/light
Our house has a 6" can light over the bath/shower....
postalgbv
1960 Ranch Remodel
We recently moved into a 1960 ranch home in Vestavia...
Red Mountain Media
Remodel for your taste vs possible sale
We plan to be in our house for 4-5 more years. It's...
thbennet
House remodel
Well I got the numbers for the remodel of my 1950s...
buckeye_11
What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?
Hi All, We want to add an awning outside of our front...
tmolly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™