Shower curtain liners

oilpainterMarch 9, 2010

Hi

How many of you buy your shower curtain liners at the dollar store. I buy mine at A Buck or Two. They cost $2. They are a little thinner than the $10 ones but thick enough to do the job. I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather change mine every 2 years than try to scrub the expensive ones. When I clean the tub I give the curtain a spray and then hose it down with the shower spray then when it gets too grungy I change it.

I figure I'm saving money but better yet I'm saving my labour.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

I get mine at walmart, they are very heavy duty and about $5-6. They will last a long time.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 6:30PM
maifleur01

I use the fabric ones from Bed Bath & Beyond and wash with the towels until the bottom becomes too stained. I then use them as plant covers when frost threatens. So far they have always been on sale when I needed a replacement, with coupon about $9.

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 10:50PM
marilyn_sue

I don't remember where I bought mine. When needed I just throw it in my washer and wash it. Always comes out nice and clean. I put my shower curtain in my washer too.

Sue

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 10:16PM
sherrmann

Cloth for me, too. I hate plastic shower curtains. The cloth curtains make great drop cloths when they finally give up the ghost to yellow stains on the bottom. Nine or 10 bucks, and they last for years before they go on forever as drop cloths.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 11:12AM
cryptandrus

I have fabric shower curtain liners, and yes, they last for YEARS.

I think they're polyester--from Bed Bath and Beyond. ~$10

I wash them with bath towels, frequently. Have never had any problems with mildew or anything else.

I'll never go back to vinyl.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 3:59PM
kimberlyrkb

I also use only fabric shower curtain liners. Vinyl fumes are supposedly not good for you to inhale, plus I hate the thought of them lasting in the landfill for years and years. I also periodically wash mine with my towels. I bought a very nice one at TJ Maxx for around $10 or $12.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 7:50PM
minnie_tx

I just bought a new liner at the Dollar store. for quite a while I've been noticing a bad smaell in the bathroom DS would explode if I told him I had mold in the walls I thought.

Well after checking everything else I happened to lift up the shower curtain and the liner and there was about an 8 inch layer of mold starting on it and the liner. I threw the liner awy and washed the curtain which is a very thin material . I never think aboutt the shower curtain it is usually just hanging on the inside of the tub. No longer it will hang on the outside now.

What a relief !!

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 10:22PM
kathyg_in_mi

Vinyl for me. We have hard water (well) and fabric liners would turn orange. Easier to buy cheap vinyl and replace often.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 10:23AM
azzalea

I only buy mine at the dollar stores, or other discount stores if they're cheaper (have been known to get them for as little as 85 cents.). I like to put up a fresh one every month or two, so the thin ones are just fine with me.

As to mold? I find that one thing that helps is cutting the shower curtain about 6" shorter than it comes. They're just too long (for my rod, at any rate, and hang right down to the floor of the tub if I hang them from the package. Cutting it off so it's about halfway up the side of the tub seems to help a lot with that water sitting between the tub and curtain problem, AND it gets rid of that little ridge at the bottom of the curtain where water and mold sometimes accumulate.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 12:35PM
nan_nc

I have a really cool natural-stone shower which I like to show off, so use a clear liner as the curtain. Cheap is good!

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:59PM
weed30

After showering, I hook the end of my inner liner over the shower head. It keeps the liner hanging free and not touching the side of the tub. It dries easily and no mold forms. My little trick isn't visible because you can't see through my outer shower curtain. I also use liquid soap, so there is no soap scum in my shower or on the curtain.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 9:12AM
caryscott

Ikea - holds up fine and pretty inexpensive - no lingering odour from the materials.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 10:59AM
rosa_rugosa

I buy attractive liners and use without a curtain. My bathroom is only 5' x 5', so a useless swathe of fabric hanging outside the tub just doesn't earn its keep in such a small space. My current curtain is a pattern of white leaves on a clear background and I usually get something similar to that. Believe it or not, I've found the best ones at K-Mart. I wash periodically and I would say that they last me about 3 years or so, with a cost of about $12.00 each.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 6:20PM
jannie

I bought a frosted plastic liner at Bed Nath and Beyond for about $10. It's treated with something, maybe Triclosan, to resist vacteria and mold. It's very sturdy and stays clean even tho four of us sgare the shower. well, not all at once, haha!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Coupons
I would like to start checking out coupons to save...
alameda/zone 8
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Khristian A Howell Nolita Drops Shower Curtain - 13005-SHOCUR
$89.00 | Hayneedle
Antique Copper Whitehaus 514.423TF Blairhaus Deck Tub Filler Shower Head
$399.00 | Blue Bath
Grohe Relexa Rustic Hand Shower - Sterling Infinity Finish
Modern Bathroom
Shower Heads Gold PVD Raised 42 Jet 6'' Shower Head
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Folding Teak Shower Seat
Signature Hardware