Order when installing Roof, Siding & Windows

cindyinctApril 8, 2010

I would like to replace my roof shingles (tear out 2 layers of shingles and replace), but I am also interested in siding and windows. When I do the siding, I am going to have the old cedar shakes removed first. Is there a problem with doing the roof before the siding? My house is a split level, so the lower half of the roof butts up against the siding on the upper half.

Is there a rule of thumb when installing a roof and siding at the same time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisk327

The better way to do it I think is to do the roof, then do the siding/windows together. Mainly the ladders to get on the roof, debris etc could damage the new siding and windows, while the new siding and windows shouldn't damage the roof.

a good roofer should be able to do a roof without collateral damage, however, if you're doing all of it, I'd do the roof first, but I'm no expert.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 1:30PM
sdello

chrisk's suggestion sounds reasonable to me.

Q.) what kind of siding are you doing? If your using vinyl, then why do you want to remove the existing cedar shakes. That's a lot of extra work unless there's a good reason for it.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 2:06PM
cindyinct

I was told that removing the existing shingles is a good idea (they were put on when the house was build in 1958), and are in bad shape (at least on 2 sides). Most of the contractors I've spoken to have suggested it. Also, if I don't, I was told that the windows would look sunk in if that makes sense.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Huge hole in floor joist? should i worry?
I had my crawlspace inspected yesterday because i was...
tlbean2004
Settling crack been repaired by 6 people - any advice?
Our house is 25 years old. The foundation was put in...
BelfastBound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™